The One Where They Talk

//Switching to George's POV bc yes\\

George was laying on his bed in his room, starfished on top of the messy blankets. His head wasn't even on the pillow, as they had been accidentally tossed aside after George had tossed and turned all night. He had been struggling to sleep for a while now, almost a month and counting. The most sleep he'd gotten in one night since his family had moved to the U.S. was a little under 5 hours. And that was added up the short 45-minute snooze sessions that he was able to get in before waking up from a vicious coughing fit.

The hanahaki was starting to become unbearable. His mother, after trying for a year in the U.K. to find George's soulmate, was convinced that he lived in the U.S. and moved them there. But all George got out of it was a horridly hot new home and weird accents with weird people. Florida wasn't as great as his parents made it out to be.

She would always say things like, "You need to try harder, Gogy." or "He's here, I can feel it!" or "You gotta look a little harder, Hon." It was exhausting.

There was all this pressure on George; having to find his soulmate within 5 months and 27 days. Having to adjust to this new state and its cultures and people. Having to adjust to a different kind of government, it was just...

Weird.

It was so weird, George couldn't bear it.

Though he had to admit that seeing the Florida beach was nice.

George unlocked his phone and went into his photo gallery. He scrolled down a little, to about a week ago, and clicked into the pictures of the beach he'd taken. He smiled, scrolling through the different angles that he'd captured. There were sunset shots, wave shots, selfies with his family members, photos of sand castles, and even some pictures of fish.

George got lost in the moment and scrolled to a photo of him and his friends. His smile faded as he stared at them, their faces sad but trying to hide it. He had gone around his school taking some last photos with his friends, already missing them once he left school for the last time.

There was Jenni, his closest female friend. They'd been closer than his male friends, mainly because she liked strictly girls and not boys. Of course, they had each other's phone numbers, but the time difference really limited what few chats they were able to have.

Jenni had long, chestnut brown hair, pale skin, and shining cyan eyes. She liked to wear necklaces and bracelets, as well as sweaters and jeans. In the picture she was wearing her favorite sweater; it had the lesbian flag colors on it, and the collar was pulled down to show off her purple jeweled necklace.

She was George's best friend, and when he saw her, he... he couldn't explain the amount of pain he felt knowing that he'd likely never see her again.

George pushed the feeling away, although it still lingered. He pressed the home button, refusing to look at the other pictures, fearing that he'd be on the verge of tears if he did.

Instead, he opened his contact list. He clicked on the one labeled "Darryl (Bad)" and clicked the message icon.

~~

hey bad

Oh hi George :D
What's up?

just bored is all
wanted someone to talk to

Oh
How was the rest of your day
at school?

boring, to say the least
nobody else really talked to
me and the ones who did
thought my accent was weird