Classroom

I sat there in the middle of  English class picking the black chipped nail polish off my nails and playing with the back of my stud earring when the teacher interrupted.

"For today's journal entry, I want you to brainstorm on habits or something a person subconsciously does." The class remained quiet as the sound of rushing pens scribbled on paper. I, however, was not as excited to start my assignment. Lightly sketching a flower in the corner of my notebook, I tried not to stare at the boy in the seat to my left.

He wasn't just an ordinary boy though, he was the boy that made me smile on the inside with all my might; he was the boy who played the piano and guitar; he was the boy who mixed up the right and left roller skates ;he was the boy who always cracked jokes or held the door open. I saw all of the light and potential inside of him, yet at the time I thought he was too good for me.

I sighed and  continued to play with the back of my purple stud earring. It was a strange habit, but none the less one that would help keep me occupied. I started the assignment when I wrote this as part of my subconscious and began to count down the minuets until the bell rang. 

Our teacher, Mrs. Hoult, continued to type while she spoke. "Would someone like to share their entry?" Normally, this was the the time where the silence would echo off the walls. Heads would fall at ninety degree angles just trying to avoid her glares. This time was different: his hand shot up in the air.

"This habit doesn't particularly relate to me, but I have this friends who holds her earring constantly. She likes to play with the back of it." Attempting to demonstrate, he gently pulls at his own ear. Mrs. Hoult continues to discuss with the other students while I try to hide my shock.

Did he pay attention to me as much as I paid attention to him? 

***

AN: Short story that I wrote a year or two ago but never published. oops. :)