Four: Death Becomes Her

I gasped roughly, my vocal chords creating a distressed wheezing sound as the momentary blackness disappeared and casted me back into the present mere moments later. It had been so dark, so still, so lifeless; it felt like the purest form of nothingness. It was something that I had never experienced in my entire existence and I was positive that I knew what it was -I had just felt death.

What had begun as an illicitly delicious mix of pleasure and pain was rapidly taking a turn for the worst. Even in my supernaturally induce haze I could no longer tolerate the white hot pain of Darius’s razor sharp fangs that were still firmly lodged into my main artery. The wounds tore a little wider as the frenzy of his thirst brought forth the true predatory nature of a demon that belonged in the darkest parts of hell.

The more the pleasure waned, the stronger my desire to free myself from his kiss of death became. 

I began to whimper and struggle against him, but by this time there was too much of his venom polluting my system rendering me to the point of weakness that I was damn near immobile. The only reason that I was still able to stand was because Darius was supporting me with his inhumanly strong arms carrying all of my weight while he fed, effortlessly.

The movies always made vampire bites look horrifically painful, but never in a billion years did I imagine that it would feel like this.

The wound that Darius was drinking from so greedily, as if my blood was the most delectable thing he had ever tasted, hurt the most. It felt like he had stabbed me in the neck with a two-pronged knife and was twisting the blades slowly so that I could feel every agonising ounce of pain possible.

His venom coursed through my veins, tainting my blood and attacking my nervous system.  With each second that passed I could feel sections of my body so overwhelmed by the acidic burn that they surrendered and shut down, dropping to temperatures below freezing level.  My entire body, once hot and buzzing with adrenaline, now felt unnaturally cool, heavy and limp, every muscle possessing a numbing ache.

I whimpered again, wanting to cry out and beg Darius to stop, but my feeble human noises only encouraged his vampiric bloodlust. He clutched me tighter and groaned throatily against my skin, slowly sliding his practiced hands down my back so that he could press my lower religion closer to his as he sucked harder at my neck. I could feel his icy tongue sweeping across my skin to lick away any of the warm red liquid that escaped his ravenous lips. He wasn’t about to waste a single drop.

Death’s darkness was gradually returning. My heart was beating sluggishly, my mind was losing consciousness -I was dying.

This wasn’t what I had imagined my death to be like. I’d always figured that I’d die old and alone in some uncomfortable hospital bed from some severe illness inevitably brought on by years of excessive smoking and drinking, not down the road from my college in the arms of the creature that plagued my dreams. Not by a vampire.

My eyelids grew heavier making the darkness more potent. The level of pain began to subside as with each chest rattling gasp my lungs began to fill with blood and I slipped further into the afterlife. Death was now inviting, enticing me with bittersweet promises of eternal peace.  I didn’t even possess the will to fight, which was so unlike me but there was no point, I was no match for a vampire. It hurt too much so I figured the sooner it was over, the better.

I felt the blood rise up into my throat, and then the rusty taste of it spread across my tongue. Breathing was no longer an option. I released a final surrendering gasp, accepting my fate. My eyes teared up and I choked on the blood, then just like that, the pain stopped and everything was black once more.

*

I stood on a deserted back road in the same oversized grey hoody and jeans that I had worn to college, near what appeared to be an abandoned warehouse.