Chapter 18: Climbing to the Top

Ian stepped out of his Continental GT Bentley with a myriad of thoughts rushing in his mind. His slightly wavy black hair were neatly combed and gelled, he was wearing a black tux, without a bow or tie. He stepped on to the side walk in front of the Ritz-Carlton, handing his keys to the valet who had come to his side as soon as he saw Ian getting out of his car. Standing at the curb, Ian buttoned his suit in contemplative silence before making any motion toward the hotel entrance.
Ian felt a strangeness inside of him as he finally entered the hotel lobby. He had arranged this party for the entire office as a thank you for the incredible work they had been doing for the past year; Blaine Advertising had been named one of the best advertising firms in New York by Forbes and Ian had also been successful in signing an exclusive advertising and marketing contract with London-based grocery food store gaint, Trent's.
Ian had not seen anyone at the office in over three weeks and after landing in New York early in the morning today, this was going to be his first interaction with the staff, and well, Jake. He didn't know what he was going to say to Jake when he met him tonight, he didn't know how he was going to face Tara after, or even before. He felt a bit light-hearted nonetheless, he wanted to get this matter of obsessing over Tara off his chest, he was going to let the chips fall where they may.
Ian reached one of the halls on the 16th floor, a flex banner next to the hall door indicated that Blaine Advertising was holding a party inside. Ian pushed open the colossal oak door with gold trims and stepped in. When Ian's employees caught him walking in, they all slowly began to clap. The applause soon rose to a crescendo - highlighting the appreciation of Ian's employees for their boss's tireless efforts in making the company what it was today. Ian was overcome with gratitude and he stood at the entrance, smiling and looking around the room thanking everyone with a look of respect in his glistening metallic, blue eyes. As he scanned the crowd his gaze landed on her - she was looking at him and clapping along with everyone else. He held her gaze for a few seconds longer than was appropriate before focusing on Jake. When Jake met Ian's gaze he held up a glass of champagne he had in his hand and then moved forward to stand next to Ian. Both men hugged each other. This was a moment of professional triumph for the both of them, Ian might have been the one to start Blaine Advertising but Jake had always been by his side, supporting him. The success they had today was as much a result of Jake's efforts, as Ian's. He couldn't have asked for a better Vice President for his company.
Ian felt humbled by the applause and chants of praise that followed. He decided to say something to the crowd because he wanted them to know how proud he was of them and also, because, he wanted them to stop cheering him on already, the British in him found it hard to deal with praise, "I am so proud of all of you today. What we have been able to achieve in last seven years has been nothing short of a miracle! And, what I can tell you with certainty is...that this has all been the result of the hardwork and dedication of each and everyone you! You guys are what makes this company great and I couldn't be more appreciative of my team! I remember when Jake and I
had just completed our post-grad and were looking for jobs, both of us hadn't envisioned having a business together. It didn't take us long to realize that this is where our passion was. And boy, am I glad we realized it soon! Some of you have been with us from the very start! And some have just joined us...know, that this company values your contributions, it is you guys who have led us here!"
Ian grabbed a glass of champagne from the tray of one of the servers and raised it in the air, "To Us!"
The entire staff followed suit and raised their glasses high up. Ian's gaze travelled back to Tara in the crowd, she had a dazzling smile on her face and was looking absolutely breathtaking. I wish you were mine right now, thought Ian, I wish you were mine right now and I would have kissed you...I would have let you know how happy I am, in this present moment...Tara!