Chapter Twenty

Familiarity.

Though I hated to admit it, James brought a sense of familiarity, good and bad, to Neverland that made me long for home, wherever it may be.

It felt like an eternity since I had seen him, though I couldn't recall exactly when it was that I had been with him. Perhaps, I had tried too hard to forget him before Neverland, that the only thing I knew now was who he was and what he had done to me.

As I bathed in the lagoon after training, Nolan stayed behind with me while the others went back to the camp. He sat on the same rock Owen had, facing the woods and boredom kept him thoroughly interested in grooves of his hands and fingers.

"So Peter brought your ex to Neverland and you have no idea why?" he questioned. I climbed out of the lagoon, the sun warming my bare back as I dried my body with my cloak.

"I don't know. It's all too strange to be a coincidence. How did Peter just happen to choose him of all people? It's like he's trying to antagonize me. When James touched me this morning, it made my stomach turn." I explained, shaking my head.

I got dressed quickly and pulled on my boots, taking my spear back from Nolan, who had held it for me while I waded in the lagoon.

"Do you miss it?" he asked.

"Do I miss what? Being with him?" I inquired curiously.

"Yeah. Do you miss what you had before?"

I thought for a moment before answering. "I can't seem to remember anything else about him. I don't have happy memories of him or us. I don't know what his laugh sounds like or what it's like to be in love with him." I stated. "And I don't feel the desire to."

We continued along the path that I had grown to memorize, never bothering to look up as I walked beside Nolan, the steady thumping of our heels hitting the ground filling my ears like a clock, ticking away the seconds and steps back into the captivity of James' blue eyed stare.

"So no one knows about your connection except Peter and me?" he asked as we entered the camp to see the boys gathered in a circle, cheering and watching intently at something or someone on the ground.

"Yes, and that's how it's going to stay." I said with an almost demanding tone as we sought to find out what was going on.

James straddled Owen, fighting to pin him down as Owen did his best to push him off, his teeth clenched and veins protruding from his neck. James was more muscular than Owen, who was tall and stick-figured, and could easily injure him.

"Get him off! What's going on?!" I yelled, pushing through Caspar and Roux.

Caspar grasped my shoulders. "Woah, hold on there, Meadow. They're just having fun. Watch." he said, crossing his arms and gesturing to the tangle of limbs with his head.

The boys struggled for a few more seconds, both fighting to show off their strength. Owen hit James in the nose, then rolled over and stepped on his hands, pinning him down and taking advantage of his surprise as blood dripped from his nostril and his eyes watered.

"Owen, you're hurting him!" I pushed past Caspar despite his hand reaching for my shoulder.

Owen's head darted in my direction as he helped James up, who recognized his defeat and given up under Owen's grasp.

"He's a tough boy, he can handle his own fights. It's part of the game, Meadow." Owen said monotonously, out of breath and placing his hands on his hips.

"Breaking someone's nose to prove your strength is hardly just a game." I stated, glaring at Owen.

James held his nose, glancing between us. "It's just a nose-bleed, Meadow." he claimed, shaking it off as though it were no big deal, though it was obvious he was in pain.