{10} Shadows Within

"This isn't a good idea," Aiyla warned.

"So you've said about a dozen times now," Sabrina replied, rolling her eyes, "Ambrose agreed, and all you know about it is from him, so, therefore, you should be on board with it." 

Aiyla didn't have a chance to argue before Sabrina marched off down the halls of Pandemonium. She sighed, trailing behind her sister. She should've had this conversation with Sabrina before she brought her down to Hell. 

While she would readily admit that this might very well be the only way to defeat the Darkness and that any consequences of the two Sabrinas meeting just this once were well worth it, but unlike Ambrose, she was doubtful that this would be a one-time thing, and that was where the trouble started. 

As they drew closer to the throne room, Aiyla began to hear music echoing down the halls. Sabrina glanced between the doors looming ahead of them and Aiyla, as though asking what the noise was, as though she didn't know what music was. 

Sabrina slowed down when they were still twenty or so feet from the doors. 

"All right, you go in and grab Sabrina Morningstar," she declared. 

"What? I'm not going in there," Aiyla refused. 

"Why not?" 

"My parents are in there. I've been doing a stellar job of avoiding them so far, and I'd like to keep that up." 

"First of all, how do you know they're going to be there?" 

"I've been to enough of these before I called it quits," Aiyla interrupted. 

"It's in-and-out, they won't even notice you," Sabrina implored. 

"That's cute," Aiyla deadpanned, "And also not a very compelling argument." 

"We're facing the end of the world here, Aiyla," Sabrina exclaimed. 

"So do it yourself," she shot back, "Have you once again forgotten that you are a witch?" 

Sabrina sighed, rolled her eyes, and turned away. She began muttering under her breath, her body starting to shift moments later. By the time she finished what Aiyla could only assume was a spell, she looked like just another minion. 

"How's this?" she asked, her voice also resembling that of a minion's. 

"Freaky," Aiyla answered, "But so's this whole situation, so what are you waiting for?"

Sabrina rolled her eyes, and action that seemed rather strange on a minion's face, before turning away with a flourish and marching towards the doors. 

Aiyla relaxed once the doors to the throne room slammed shut behind her and the music was back to its previous still-annoying-but-not-so-much levels. She slipped behind a post where she was out of sight and sank to the floor. 

She felt a little guilty - something she was still getting used to feeling - that she had sent Sabrina in when it would've been easier for her to go, but at the same time, she was relieved that she'd managed to avoid her parents - especially her mother - for yet another day. 

If she was lucky, they'd end up destroying each other before she had to see either of them again. And given their rocky - to put it mildly - relationship and homicidal tendencies, along with her strong desire never to talk to them again, there was a non-zero chance of that happening. 

That maybe shouldn't have made her smile the way it did. 

"Aiyla," Sabrina called, jolting her from her thoughts.