That Game We Call High School(17) - Part Two

Chapter Seventeen (Part Two)

It's Hate/Love Thing

*****************************

Have you ever hated someone so much that you loved them? They just get on your nerves so much, talks to you constantly, that they actually know you; while no one else does. And, when they stop annoying you.. You miss it. You miss it so much that you start annoying them yourself, just trying to get them to rise your anger again.

And what if, just what if, they loved you too?

~*~

When Liam and I reached my locker, where Danny was, I looked away shyly. My fingers were still intertwined with Liam's, and I didn't want to let go. But I didn't want Danny to think we were together. "Hey, Danny." I said, trying to sound casual.

Apparently I'm not a very good actress.

"Khloe, can I talk to you for a minute?" Danny asked seriously, like a protective brother does when their younger sister goes on their first date. But I've never had a first date so I don't know if I would be one to judge on it.. I've just read about it in books, and seen it in movies.

"Aren't you talking to me already?" I asked, trying to lighten the mood. It didn't work. Danny and Liam were still sending each other death glares. Danny shook his head; he obviously knew that I knew what he meant. Sighing, I nodded, and began walked away with Danny when Liam pulled me back by our still entwined hands. "If he does anything to hurt you, just tell me." He whispered in my ear. I nodded; knowing I would. Liam would protect me know. He's shown that much.

I let go of Liam's hand, walking over with Danny. "What's up?" I asked, trying desperately not to sound nervous.

"Are you and Liam an item?" My eyes widened, as I tried to find the correct answer for that. No, but we almost were, didn't really seem appropriate. Unable to speak, I shook my head vigorously. He sighed, "Good." His expression turned serious again. "But I don't want you guys acting all lovey-dovey like that. Holding hands.. If you still want me to take you out on that date, you wont do that."

My expression turned from confusion, to hurt, to anger. How dare he say that? Liam was my first friend, my only guy friend! Danny wasn't even my family; he can't tell me what to do! "You gave no right to tell me what I can and cannot do with my friends! You're not my dad! Though, I don't listen to him anyways. Just like I wont listen to you."

With that, I turned my heel and began walking in the direction of Liam; whom Calypso was now standing by. "What did he do to you?" Liam growled when I finally got to him.

"Look; don't worry about it. I don't care anymore."

"So, you're not going to go on that date with him?" Perfect timing, Calypso. Just perfect.

Liam's expression slightly saddened. I gulped, sending a warning look to Calypso as silence settled throughout our little group. She sent me back a look, as if to say sorry. I shook my head, massaging my temples with my right hand. "You were going to go on a date with him?" Liam asked, slightly pained. I nodded a small, guilty nod.

"He.. He asked me on Thursday to go on a date Saturday. But I told him that we were going to a concert. So, we were kind of planning to go on a date sometime soon." Ripping my eyes away from the tile floor, I willed myself to look into his eyes. "Liam, no one had ever asked me on a date before, what was I supposed to say?"

"You could've said no at the time, but then you should've stayed saying no."

"Okay, what happened here?" Calypso asked; confused. Oh, yeah.. I still hadn't told her what happened at the concert. Well, I guess now's the time to confess; since we don't have anything better to do. Like, I don't know, forget about this and go play a nice game a hop scotch? I would like to, but I doubt they'd agree with me.