Chapter 2

A few hours later, the rain had only increased to a heavy downpour, leaving the roads slick. A small sign appeared in my headlight beam, reading "Welcome to the town of Clintwood, Virginia". I sighed thankfully, pulling into a small empty parking lot. I rubbed my eyes, exhaustion taking over, as I reached down and pulled out my pillow and thick sleeping bag. Getting comfortable on the lumpy bench seat of my rusty truck, I closed my eyes, letting sleep take over.

A knock on my window woke me from the fitful nightmares I was having. Jerking up, and smacking my head on the steering wheel in the process, I looked out my window, only to be greeted by a policeman. I quickly rolled my window down.

"Yes sir? Have I don't something wrong", I asked worriedly.

"No ma'am, I suppose not. Just noticed your tags were out of date. I was gonna write you a ticket, till I noticed you were sleeping inside. You alright"? He asked questionably. His skinny face was contorted into a look of concern. He was probably in his mid 20's, pretty skinny.

"Oh yes, sir. I'm not from here, and just got into town late last night in the storm. I'm looking for a place to rent actually. You wouldn't know of anywhere would you? And of any where hiring?" I explained quickly while pulling my wild hair into a ponytail and pushing my glasses back up my nose.

"I'm not sure, but I think the Hell Rider's are looking for a new bartender. Last girl ran out on 'em. They're a local biker club/gang up the mountain. Really rough crowd, though. The town doesn't really mess with them, they have a reputation to be pretty ruthless if you cross them wrong", he said while rubbing his face wit a sigh. Something told me that he knew a little more about this club than he was letting on.

"Well.... I don't really have much choice. Can you give me some directions, or a phone number?" I sighed

"Tell ya what. I'll do ya one better. You go down to the Clintwood Diner, and I'll call their Alpha, Johnny. I'll tell him to meet you there in two hours. But first, come down to the station. We've got a bathroom with a shower you can use. No one will bother you, and you can freshen up. It's right across from the diner." The officer smiled while pointing down the street.

I just nodded and started up my truck, following him down the road to the station. I pulled out an outfit and shoved it into my duffel bag with my bathroom stuff. The officer waited for me to follow him in, holding the door open. I smiled and gave a small nod in thanks, walking into the small lobby.

"You'll have to excuse that we only have one bathroom. Its a small town, small budget. It's nothing fancy, sorry...", he rubbed the back of his neck embarrassed. I just said thank you, and slipped into the small bathroom.

I sighed, setting my phone down and ignoring the 73 missed calls from my former best friend. I quickly stripped out of my clothes from the day before, folding them nicely, and setting my soaps and razor on the shower floor. Turning the knob to "Satan in the summer" hot, I stepped in and let the steaming water cascade down my sore muscles. I thought of the previous days events, choking out a sob. I let it all out right there in that tiny police station shower: all my pain, worries, frustration. I decided that this would be a new start for my life.

Stepping out into the steamed bathroom, I changed into a pair of skinny jeans and thick socks with my boots, followed by a thin v-neck sweater that I would wear my knitted cardigan over. It was a little warmer than yesterday, but still cold. While letting my hair air dry, I did a quick minimalistic makeup look, making my green eyes stand out. Once I was done, I dried my hair and straightened it, so that my mid-back length brown hair was smooth as silk.

When I finished, I stepped out into the lobby, finding the officer from before congregating with several other men in uniform around a small coffee pot. I gave a shy smile and waved, getting his attention as he jogged over.

    "Done already? Come meet the other guys! It'll be good to have the police force on your side if you're gonna work at the Hell Riders." He explained while leading me to the other officers. "This is Matt, Jimmy, Jack, and Bill. I'm Collin. Sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier. I called the Hell Riders while you were cleaning up. He should be over there soon if you wanna head over."

    "Yeah, lemme put this stuff in my truck, and I'll head over there now. Is there anything else I should know about this guy?" I asked.

    "Nah. He's an alright guy I think. Just rough. We're right across the street if you need us for anything. Good luck girly." One of the older policemen said with a small smile and a pat on the back. With high hopes, I crossed the street and entered the small diner, filled with several families having lunch.

    Sitting at a small booth near the front window, in full view of the cops that stood outside the station watching, I sent a text to Collin. He had slipped me his number as I left the station. My very first friend in this new town. Suddenly the bell on the door jingled and in walked an older, large, heavily tattoed man wearing a leather vest adorned with many patches.

    His slick back black hair was pulled into a ponytail. He had bright blue eyes and a stern look graced his face. I visibly cowered back but stood my ground as he looked around the restaurant before starting my way. He stood by the table before growling out, 
    "You Lily?"

    "I...*cleared my throat*. Yes Sir. Lily Hale", I stood quickly and extended my hand. He took mine with a nod, surprisingly gently. His rough hands had definitely seen battle.

    "I'm Alpha Johnny Jones. Please, sit. I hear from Collin that you're new in town and need a place to stay and a job", he said, leaning across the table.

    I nodded quickly while sitting, pushing my black rimmed glasses back up my nose. "Yes Sir. Im.... relocating. No family. No friends. No belongings. Just the stuff I could fit in my front seat." I said nervously, tapping each finger on one hand against the thumb; An anxious  tick my OCD had provided. 

    He leaned back in his seat with his arms crossed across his broad chest. He seemed deep in thought as he studied me, which made me twice as nervous as before. " I've got an opening at our club bar as a bartender. I'm pretty desperate. You work there, and I'll let you have the small cabin near the garage for free. It's pretty much furnished... just needs cleaned. I feel like I can trust you. If you were from a rival club, I doubt they'd send such a small defenseless girl in as recon." He chuckled softly before reextending his hand.

    "Thank you so much Alpha, Sir. I won't let you down. I'm a very fast learner. I'll keep your cabin spotless, I swear to it", I shook his hand quickly, tears threatening to spill over in happiness. He just smiled and instructed me to follow him to their compound, where I would start my new life as a bartender for the Hell Rider's. WHAT have I gotten myself into?

———————————————-
Again, very slow updates. I accidentally deleted this chapter and had to rewrite it. I have 2 kids, too 😂