chapter 13

Herring arrives at Crown One. There is a line extending to the corner consisting of mostly women. He makes his way to the front where two bouncers in black pants and black Crown One t-shirts stand. A chain link pole is in between them. He gives the bouncer holding a tablet his name. The bouncer scrolls through the tablet, stamps the back of Herring's hand, and steps aside allowing him entry. Inside the entrance a guy takes his I.D. and scans it under a machine to check its authenticity. Herring's I.D. is returned to him and he walks down a hall. At the end of the hallway is a bar. Across from it, the dance floor and DJ booth. He sees Krista walking up a set of stairs. Another bouncer stands at the bottom. He shines a black light on the back of Herring's hand revealing a VIP stamp and waves him through.

Upstairs are four sections each with a single chair, two love seats, and coffee table. Bronze is seated in the second section sitting on the single chair facing the dance floor. Case and his girlfriend sit on the love seat with Krista on the other love seat. Krista is dressed in a black mini skirt, white heels, and a white crop top shirt that shows her belly ring.

"What's good?" Bronze says to Herring.

Herring gives dap to Bronze and Case and takes a seat next to Krista.

"Did they play your track?" Herring ask.

"Not yet."

One of the bar staff appears balancing on one hand a tray of six empty glasses and six cans of cranberry juice. In her other hand she holds a bottle of grey goose vodka. She sets the glasses and juice in the center of the table next to the bucket of ice and disappears. Bronze takes the vodka and pours his glass three quarters full. Then adds cranberry juice to fill the remainder of the glass. Herring pours his glass half vodka and half juice.

"Light drinker?" Krista yells over the music.

"I have to drive," Herring says taking a drink.

"So responsible," she smiles. "I like that."

She fills her glass completely with ice and mimics Herrings idea of half and half.

"Let's go downstairs," she says.

He looks down at the people on the dance floor. "Uh maybe later," he says unsure.

"Oh come one," Krista begs. "This is a good song."

She attempts to pull him up by the hand. He doesn't budge. "Just one song," she convincingly.

He looks again at the dance floor and gets up. "One song," he repeats.

When they reach the bottom off the stairs he is immediately bombarded by three girls.

"Are you Herring Fargo-Turner?" the tall brunette ask. He nods his head and their faces light up.

"Can we get a selfie?" She ask beyond thrilled.

"Here?" he looks at the stairs.

"Uh. Over here is fine," the brunette leads them off to the side of the stairs.

Herring takes a swallow of his drink and passes it to Krista to hold while he takes the photos. She gives the girls a nasty look but they don't notice.

"Thanks," they all say as they check the outcome of the picture. The three squeal with excitement as they walk away.

"I never got a picture," Krista says with jealousy. 

He takes his drink. "You never asked," he shrugs and walks out on the dance floor.

Krista follows him to the dance floor. She begins to dance moving her shoulders and torso in a swaying motion. She sips her drink from a straw. Watching Herring intensely, her tongue moves up and down the straw before her lips close over the top of  it. Making a slurping noise as she swallows the drink. Her glossy eyes stare at Herrings feet and slowly move to his eyes. A new song is played. She seductively approaches him and turns her body so that her back is facing him. There's only inches between them. Her hips sway from side to side with each movement closing the gap. His body moves in sync with the flow of her hips. She swiftly spins facing him. Giving him a whiff of her fruity hair.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" she yells into his ear.

"No," he shakes his head.

"Why not. Don't have any time for one?" She downs the rest of her drink.

"It's not that it's..." he trails off and finishes the rest of his drink.

Her face sparkles in the dim club lighting. She somehow appears more attractive now.

"What are you doing tomorrow? We can hang out at my place," she ask.

The DJ gives a shout out to Bronze and introduces his song.

"Whoo!" Krista shouts.

Herring turns to retreat back to VIP.

"You can't leave now. This is the song you're on," grabbing his arm.

"I'll enjoy it from up there," he motions his head in the direction upstairs.

She pouts and continues dancing. Back upstairs Bronze is excitedly bopping his head. His dreads moving back and forth. "That's what I'm talking about! Case you hear dat?" He turns his attention to Herring, "Yo Heir that's ya boy right der!"

When Herrings verse plays the groups excitement increases. The song ends and Krista returns. Her speech is slow and her movements unsteady. "That was crazy. How's it sound to hear yourself like that?" she ask Herring.

"It's good," he manages a half smile.

Krista pours herself another drink. "You never answered me. Are we hanging out tomorrow?" she slurs into his ear.

"What time?"

"Give me your number I'll text you," she hands him her phone.

He plugs in his number and hands her the phone. She grabs Case's girlfriends arm and they run off somewhere.

"She want it bad," Bronze says to Herring.

"We're going to hang out," he says.

"Like you and Nikki," he scoffs.

One of the guys from the section at the end comes over to chat with Bronze. Herring fiddles with his phone scrolling to Nickola's name. It's 12:30  I can't call her now she will most likely be asleep. He puts his phone in his pocket. Krista returns plopping herself on the loveseat almost falling into Herring's lap.

"Sorry," she giggles.

After a few minutes the bar staff brings five shots and places them on the table.

"To Bronze," Krista shouts raising the small glass in her hand. The others repeat and raise their glasses. Krista gives Herring a sloppy smile before swallowing her drink. An hour and two drinks later she grabs her purse and disappears. After a short time, she reappears with panic on her face.

"Could you give me a ride home?" distress in her voice.

"Are you alright?" Herring ask.

"I need to get out of here," tears in her eyes.

He turns to Bronze, "I'm going to take her home." They pound fist and he and Krista leave.

Krista rushes through the club occasionally looking around her as if she is being chased.

They get to Herrings car. "What happened in there?" concern in his voice.

"I ran into my ex-boyfriend," she says biting her fingernail. "We got into an argument."

"Did he hurt you?" he turns the ignition.

"No, can you put something on?" she looks at the radio.

He tunes it to the hip hop station. Krista directs him to her apartment but remains silent throughout the way there. They arrive at the complex. She puts her hand on the door handle. "Thanks," relief in her voice. She pauses before opening the door and getting out of the car.