Chapter 11

The next morning Clarissa rises early and dresses to say a sorrowful farewell to Catherine and Victor. The Lenoir family, including Celeste and her boys, all gather outside the house to wave goodbye. The footmen are taking all the luggage from the house and storing and securing it on the top of the carriage that is about to take Victor and Catherine to Dover. The sun peaks through the light cloud in the early morning and birds twitter to themselves in the nearby trees. Clarissa's pocket watch hangs around her neck, tucked into the neckline of her cream and lavender patterned dress, the face shows that it is ten to 8. 

Catherine hugs her mother and Celeste, the women make grieved promises to write and to stay safe.  Victor says an awkward goodbye to Silas, who barely gives him a nod but they do shake hands, reluctantly it must be said. Victor then turns to Clarissa, who smiles wistfully, and opens her arms. 

"I'll write when I arrive." He embraces her, "Think about the contract." 

She flinches at the mention of Lord Wellesley but chooses to ignore his last comment. She grips the back of his coat tightly. 

 "I will miss you, I hope to see you soon." She murmers. They break apart, he knocks her chin cheekily before climbing into the carriage. Marie and Celeste go over to the carriage and talk to him through the door, leaving Catherine and Clarissa a bit of space to say goodbye. The two sisters look at each other and smile. 

"I will miss you the most," Catherine whispers as they hug. 

"And I, you," Clarissa replies, beginning to get choked up,  "Stay safe, and write to me."

The sisters break apart.

"Every week," Catherine promises, wiping away the tear that threatens to roll down Clarissa's cheek, "You must write to me too, update me on everything I miss,"

Clarissa half laughs, "It is you who will be having the adventures to tell, nothing happens here." She sniffs and brushes away the tears.  

"Stay strong little sister," Catherine touches her cheek affectionately, her sister nods. Although it is tough to see her go, she knows that Catherine will never be happy here, not with the big wide and open world begging to be seen. 

"Goodbye ma mere, papa!" Catherine cries as she climbs into the carriage. The driver shuts the door and she leans out of the window.  She waves at Charlie who bounces up on down on the spot, waving his little fist frantically. 

"Stay safe ma fille!" Marie says, "Listen to Victor." 

The driver climbs onto his seat and clicks the horses onwards when Silas nods. The carriage begins to trundle away from Queen Anne's Gate, Charlie starts to run after it but Celeste quickly calls him back. He walks back with his little shoulders slumped. Clarissa waves and waves to her sister and cousin until they are out of sight. Soon they are left standing in an empty street. 

"Well that's that." Silas says finally, "Shall we have breakfast?" 

Marie lets out a stifled sob at his words, Celeste puts an arm around her and takes her son's hand with the other. 

"Let's get you inside for a nice cup of hot tea." 

Marie, Celeste, her husband and children all walk back into the house leaving Clarissa on the pavement, staring into the dust of where her sister once was. Silas approaches her and places a hand on her shoulder, she looks up into his face. 

"She will be fine, more than fine and you know it." He says with conviction. "This is what she has wanted all her life since she could read." 

"I know, I know." Clarissa nods, she takes a steadying breath and smiles weakly. "She will visit us soon enough anyway."