Chapter 29: Answers

Augusts 17th, 1961

John could only hear the clattering of the nurses heels as they swiftly walked through the hallway where he was standing. He couldn't remember for how long he was starring at this large ward through a large window. The cool lighting made every patient's face even more sickly, diaphanous even. The white sheets didn't help. All ten of the patients laid on metal-framed beds, 5 against each walls. A nurse in her lilac dress with obnoxious puffy sleeves, her white apron and a lace-rimmed hat pinned on top of her head watched over them, sitting at a small desk at the back of the room. Only small folding screen could be requested by families for some privacy with their loved-ones. That's what Mimi did sitting on the edge of Eddie's bed, crying. She arrived in Liverpool by 1 pm on the first train she could hop on.

John gazed at his little aunt silently weeping, stroking his little sister's hand. They barely got news about Eddie's state. She looked just as poorly as the other patients in the ward. He lost the count of the blood transfusions she received since she was admitted at Liverpool's Royal Infirmary. He haven't seen Eddie open her eyes or move all night long. He felt his throat tighten at the though she looked dead. John yawned lengthily, rubbing his eyes with the back o his hands. He haven't slept the night. The hospital staff allowed him to stay by his sister, worrying if she would be alive in the morning and also how was Paul, who he didn't get news from since he left Mimi's house by ambulance.

John closed his eyes, giving himself a few seconds to rest as he felt a hand resting firmly on his shoulder. "You should sit down, John." Suggested Dr. Phillips, standing behind him.

"Any news about her?" John asked faintly, too tired to speak with his usual sharp, nasal and loud voice. Dr. Phillips exhaled loudly. He didn't have to speak for John to understand. He didn't know anything or he did and it wasn't good.

Both men turned their heads as they heard the swing doors open at the end of the hallway. A tall, stern-looking read-head man, wearing his white lab coat over his classy shirt and holding a clip board walked to them. John recognized him. He was there ever since Eddie got here ."I've got the test results for Miss Victoria Lennon." John didn't want to hear about it. He didn't feel ready to hear bad new...if they were. This pessimistic attitude frustrated him, but he couldn't think otherwise. As both doctors exchanged stepping a few feet away from him, John couldn't help but think about the night before when he saw Dr. Phillips discreetly giving money to this same doctor. Dr. Phillips joined John again as, in the room, the nurse gently signed to Mimi to leave Eddie alone to rest.

"What was the money for...yesterday night?" Questioned John, his eyes not parting with his sister. Mr. Phillips sighed. He hoped nobody saw his quick transaction. "John..." Exhaled the man. "How much?" John added, feeling tears well up in his eyes. "John, it's not important. What is, is for Edwidge to recover peacefully. The doctor promised not to report her to the police in exchange for money." He answered, sadly. John felt his bottom lip tremble. His anxiety about his sister being thrown in prison was melting off his shoulders. He nodded, gulping back his saliva. "I will pay ye back, whatever ye gave him. I don't know when, but I will."

"John, you don't have to."

"Yes! Yes I have. It's my sister. There were sings... I even confronted her once. I tried to make her confess Paul got her pregnant. She kept saying they never had sex...I can't figure out how it happened. I just can't." Voiced John, wistfully. "We'll found out. It's a question of time. We'll have time to talk about it later." Reassured Dr. Phillips, rubbing John's back.

Mimi walked out of the ward silently, wiping the inner corner of her eyes with her white handkerchief. She cleared her throat and looked at her nephew. "Do you want to go see her before we leave?" She asked, adjusting her black dress sleeves to her elbows. Mimi always wore dark colors for as long as John could remember, but today, the hue of her outfit made him feel uneasy. He looked down at his feet and shook his head. "No I'm sure she's relieved not to have her annoying brother by her side anymore." He joked, scoffing morosely. Mimi pushed a quivering breath, nodding faintly "It's going to be fine, honey." She stepped to John and held his face, looking straight into his eyes. "Eddie's going to be fine...okay? The nurse in there told me she was stable." Mimi comforted John. The man closed his eyes, focusing hardly not to cry.