2

The following day there was a ruckus. Some stupid creatures were calling and clomping through the woods. She kept herself hidden and followed them curious about these stupid creatures. They found her kill. She twitched her tail, irritated. She would hide her kills better next time. One, a female from the scent, started to wail loudly and fell to the ground. One of the males took the female away while another started talking into a rock it held to its head. With all this noise they were making it was a wonder they were such a large herd. The wailing was irritating. She left to get away from the noise.

Further away she found a tree and climbed it. The view looked over her possible new domain. She still had not seen nor scented anyone who may already claim this plentiful territory. She lay down on a branch and lounged. This was the first time she felt relaxed and full in a very long time. Tomorrow she would start claiming her new territory.

She started her claim down by the herd of two legged prey then headed in a semicircle around and into the forest. There were rabbits, porcupines, deer and even grouse she could eat as well. She couldn't believe her luck! Tons of potential meals, lots of shelter. This was prime territory. This was heaven! It was hers.

She was hungry again. At least it wasn't the nagging hunger, more like peckish. She started to prowl. Her ears picked up an irritating noise YIP YIP YIP YIP. It was one of those tiny canines the two legged creatures kept. She sniffed. It would make a decent snack. She followed the noise. YIP YIP YIP YIP. It was running ahead of a two legger. Yipping and yapping at everything it saw oh so very irritating!

She morphed into stalking mode eager to shut the stupid creature up. She was upwind so it wouldn't smell her coming. She closed the distance quickly, quietly and easily. At a full run she grabbed the canine in her jaws and bit down. It Yipped once more and was silent. The two legger screamed very loudly and started running at her. Taken aback she dropped her prize and jumped a few feet away staring at this two legger who dared try and challenge her. She lounged at the challenger, who then stopped in its tracks. She could smell its fear and see it trembling. She picked up her prize again and trotted off into the brush to find a quiet place to snack.

She went farther into the woods than last time. She was more careful to find a secluded quiet place to snack. It was another copes, but this one denser and quieter. She did not want to be disturbed. Satisfied she would be left alone she settled down and started to pluck the fur off the carcass. This canine was smaller than she had thought. The fur had made it look like it was rabbit sized, this was more like a large rat. No matter, it was edible and it would tide her over till she could be bothered to make a larger kill.