Chapter 7: "The Last Day of Camp"

The alarms continued blaring as the group all ran to rejoin with each other. Just as they did, the intercom came on. "Attention. All park-goers must report to the South Ferry Dock for immediate evacuation. Last ferry departs in two hours." It said, before cutting off.  "That's it? No explanations? That's all we get?" Brooklynn asked, once the intercom had cut out. "We have to move. The only way we're going to make it is if we run." Darius said, making Sammy look behind the group at Yasmina and Ben with a nervous look. "Um, are we sure that's the best way to get there?" She asked, as Yasmina approached. "I'm fine!" She retorted once she made it to the group. "I've competed with a torn ACL. You should be way more worried about Ben and Bumpy." Yasmina explained as she pointed to the boy and dino approaching behind her. "What we should all be worried about is catching a boat out of here, and, naturally, we have a problem." Ben said, pulling out a map from his pocket. He unrolled it and placed it on a wall for the others to see. "We're here. The docks are on the southern tip of the Island. Even if we ran at peak (Y/n) speed, there's no way we'd make the last boat." He said.
      "You don't know that!" Sammy said, trying not to lose hope. "Yes I do. I memorized the evacuation routes on the ferry ride over." Ben informed, making everyone groan in frustration. "Okay, so we need another way." Darius said, before looking around for a solution. "Um, can we use those somehow?" He asked, pointing at the Kayaks. "Or maybe send (Y/n) ahead and tell them to wait?" He continued. "Or make a few jetpacks real quick? Oh! we should befriend a unicorn!" Brooklynn said sarcastically. "Face it, Darius. It's hopeless. We'll never make it in time." (Y/n) said, crossing her arms. Just as they said that, however, they hear a voice speaking. "Is that...." Brooklynn trailed off as they moved to get a better look, and saw a monorail. "Monorail, what-what!" Kenji cheered. "Huh, touché universe. Touché." (Y/n) said with a smirk. "Hurry!" Darius urged them, and they all ran up the stairs towards the monorail stop. (Y/n) smiled when she saw Kenji, Brooklynn, and Sammy, who were all ahead of her, cheer. However, she also saw their happiness quickly shift to fear as they quickly hid behind the wall. Brooklynn stopped both her and Darius from going any further and told them both to shush.
      Curious as to what was going on, Darius and (Y/n) peaked around the corner, but quickly hid when they saw Toro. They peaked their heads out again and saw that the stairs leading to the monorail station was with in running distance, and that the Monorail was approaching fast. They watched as Toro distracted herself with a barrel, before motioning for the others to follow them. The two then ran past Toro while her back was turned, and hid behind the stairs. They turned around to see that none of the others had followed them. (Y/n) gave them a concerned look as she motioned for them to hurry up. The group gave each other an unsure look, before trying to run towards them. This, however, was thwarted when Toro began to turn around, making the others quickly hide again. Toro dropped the barrel, and slowly began to approach the wall the others where hiding behind. Darius picked up a rock and threw it, before rushing (Y/n) to the other side of the stairs. Toro went to go investigate the rock, allowing the others to run and make it to the stairs. They rushed up the stairs, desperate to get to safety. However, they all had to crawl up the stairs, as to not get spotted by Toro. This made (Y/n)'s wrist hurt like crazy, but she knew she'd rather deal with a hurt wrist than get eaten by Toro. On the way up, Bumpy knocked a cup down the stairs, and Brooklynn struggled to catch it. Luckily she did and they continued up the stairs. (Y/n), Brooklynn, Kenji, and Bumpy were the first ones there, and they had arrived just as the Monorail was about to arrive. "Mon-" (Y/n) quickly slapped her hand over Kenji's mouth so he wouldn't draw the attention of Toro. They three teens, and Bumpy, looked down and watched the others climb the stairs, as the Monorail finally arrived. However, the monorail announced it's presence with a very loud speaker, which caused Toro to look up and notice the group. "Go, go, go!" Darius yelled, as Toro roared and began to chase them all up the stairs. Kenji, Brooklynn, (Y/n), and Bumpy all boarded the Monorail, and waited for the others with worried expressions. Toro struggled to climb the stairs, but still somehow managed to do it. Sammy boarded the monorail, and Darius was about to do so, but turned around. "Darius!" (Y/n) yelled, making the boy look at her. "Yasmina and Ben need help!" He yelled, shocking (Y/n). She frowned before running out of the monorail. "Get inside! I'll help them!" She said as she ran past Darius, who turned to do inside the Monorail. The doors began to close, but Kenji stood in between them, preventing them from doing so. (Y/n) looked down the stairs to see that Toro was gaining on Yasmina. Toro slipped and fell, causing Yasmina to fall as well. "Not on my watch." (Y/n) muttered as she ran down the stairs. "Ben, Yaz! Duck!" She yelled, running past them. Using a stair rail to help her, she jumped into the air and kicked Toro's injury on her nose, then backing up. She grabbed Yasmina's arm, then Ben's arm, and ran up the stairs, pulling the two with her. They made it to the top of the stares and into the Monorail, just in time to see the stairs beneath Toro collapse, bringing Toro with it. The doors closed, and the monorail left the area. The group stared at the Lagoon in silence.
      "No way. Something bad always happens when we think we're safe." Kenji stated. "Watch! The doors are going to open!" He continued, but nothing happened. Sammy scoffed as she walked to sit down. "Okay then, the train's gonna stop 'cause that's how this works." Kenji said, but again, nothing happened. "I'm pretty sure we're safe now." Brooklynn said, following Sammy. "Well, we were until you said that." Kenji warned. (Y/n) sighed and just pulled him to sit next to her. "Relax Kenji. It's fine." She said, side hugging him to calm him down. Then Darius spoke up. "Guys, we did it. We're going home!" He said softly. Everyone smiled softly, and Sammy jumped up in her seat with a loud cheer, startling everyone. Then, Darius jumped up in his chair and let out a cheer. Soon, everyone was cheering at the thought of going home. "This calls for a celebration!" Brooklynn said, sitting in a chair behind Ben, who gave everyone a smirk. "I might be able to help with that." He said, opening up his pouch and pulling out some candy bars. "Stashed a few treats for the road." He said, showing them the candy bars. Everyone grabbed one, thanking Ben, before opening them and taking a bit. However, they all quickly spit the food out in disgust. "Ben, someone stole your candy bars, and put dirt in them." (Y/n) said, looking at Ben with disgust. "They're carob bars. They pair perfectly with--" "Carob juice. Awesome." Darius said nervously, cutting Ben off as he looked at his drink, which Ben had also passed out to everyone.
      "Carob is nature's chocolate. Just as delicious with none of the sugars or caffeine." Ben explained, making Brooklynn and (Y/n) look at him. "What's wrong with sugar and caffeine?" (Y/n) asked. "I know right? When I get home,  the first thing I'm gonna do is hug my espresso machine. I may never let go." Brooklynn said, making (Y/n) giggle. "You know...." Kenji spoke up, clearing his throat. "I've often described myself as a tall, hot drink." He said, smirking at (Y/n) how let out a laugh. "Kenji, you're great and all, but you could never be coffee." She said, making Kenji roll his eyes. "I could be coffee...." He muttered. "I cannot wait to be home. Once my ankle is better, it's back to training. And I guess finding a new cooperate sponsor, since mine was Jurassic World, but, you know." Yasmina said, leaning on Sammy's chair. "It's gonna be weird for things to be normal again. Like, are video games gonna seem boring now?" Darius chuckled, before turning to Kenji. "How 'bout you? What's the first thing you'll do when you get home?" He asked. Kenji smirked. "Depends on what wing of our mansion you're talking about. East wing is usually off limits, but Dad and Candy are away on business so, I guess I'll head downstairs to our bowling ally." He said, chuckling. "The staff always lets me win. Life of a V.I.P." He muttered, giving a nervous smile. "So, what have you missed, Ben?" Sammy asked, turning to face Ben. "Oh. Let me guess." Kenji spoke up. "You can't wait to get bac to your closet of dork pouches!" Kenji joked, making Ben dead-pan. "Ha ha. Very funny." Ben said sarcastically.
      "Seriously Be, you've had juice boxes for days! How much stuff can you fit in that thing?" (Y/n) asked. "One, lots. And two, obviously the first thing I'm going to do is restock it!" Ben said, making the others laugh. "What about you, (Y/n)? What do you look forward to doing?" Yasmina asked, making (Y/n)'s smile disappear. "Me? I... don't know...." She said, looking down, before pulling her knees to her chest and looking out the window. The others stared at her. "Most of my life has been with my brother and the Raptors. They're the only family I have left." She said, watching the passing clouds. "What about your parents?" Brooklynn asked. "They died. When I was a little girl. I moved in with my brother a month after. Now, I don't even know if he is still alive." She answered, shocking everyone. "So... there's a possibility you're an orphan now?" Ben asked, making Sammy slap his shoulder. (Y/n) just looked nodded her head, still looking out the window as a tear rolled down her cheek. Kenji stared at her with pity in his eyes. He looked down, before wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "Well, if there is anything I've learned about you, it's that you're strong, and stubborn. You're brother is most likely the same way, and I have no doubt those Raptors are even worse. There is no way their gone. You'll see them soon, I promise." He said, making (Y/n) look at him in shock. "Plus, if you don't, which there is no way that will happen, you could always come home with me!" He said, making (Y/n) snort. "You're awful!" She laughed, leaning her head on his shoulder. He chuckled, before getting up and walking to some flashlights. He took one and turned it on. "Check it out." He said, turning to the others to shine it in their eyes. "I found the first thing at Jurassic World that works." He joked, flipping the flashlight in the air. However, he didn't catch it, so it crashed on the floor. Kenji picked it back up and turned it on. "Still works." She said, giving a embarrassed thumbs up.
      (Y/n) let out a laugh. "I still can't believe how much went wrong. Like that time we almost got eaten." Brooklynn asked, turning to face (Y/n). "Which time? How was there more than one time?!" She chuckled. Darius stood up and held up his carob juice. "Let's all raise out carob juice." He said, and everyone held up their juice. "A toast. To not getting eaten." He continued, and the others repeated him, taking a sip of their juice, only to give disgusted looks. All except Ben. Then Brooklynn stood up. "To no more running away!" She said, and the others repeated. Only this time, Ben was the only one who drank the juice. The others looked at each other with disgusted faces, while Sammy and (Y/n) gave their juice to Bumpy. Then Ben stood up. "To the return of a low-level gnawing dread, rather than an all-encompassing impending doom!" He said, the others looked at him before smiling and agreeing with him. "I got one!" Sammy said, but then an explosion was heard, and the Monorail shook a little, making everyone standing up fall in their seats. They all scooted the the window. "Um, what was that?" (y/n) asked, nervously and fearfully as she leaned her body into Kenji's body while he and the others looked outside. "It sounded like an explosion." Yasmina answered. "Not again!" Brooklynn complained. "I don't see anything." Kenji informed. "I don't think it was near us. We're still good." Darius said, trying to calm the others down. It barely worked. (Y/n) stayed leaning on Kenji, and he wrapped an arm around her shoulders, keeping her safe.
      Sammy looked around at the others and noticed them all no longer smiling. Then she stood up and held her juice up. "I know camp wasn't what we thought it was going to be." She spoke up, making everyone turn to look at her. "But after everything we went through, at least we're leaving here with six new friends. To the seven of us being best friends for life! Clink!" Sammy said with a big smile, but no one agreed with her. Kenji, Ben, and Brooklynn looked away awkwardly, while Darius pretended to be interested in what his juice box said. Meanwhile Yasmina and (Y/n) stared at Sammy with 'are you stupid' Looks. This made Sammy's smile fall into a look of confusion. "Guys? Hello? Wait, do you guys not see us as friends?" She asked, coming to a realization. "I mean... doesn't it usually take more than a few days to become friends with someone?" Brooklynn asked awkwardly. "We were thrown together at random. We have nothing in common." Yasmina asked, as Kenji secretly glanced at (Y/n), who turned to look out a window. "That's not true. We've been through more together than most friends have in a lifetime." Sammy defended. "And now that it's over, what are the odds that we'll ever see each other again?" Ben asked solemnly. (Y/n) looked up and made eye contact with Kenji, before looking back out the window, as the group fell into silence. The only thing that broke it was the automated voice. "Coming up on the right, you'll see our world-renowned, 18-hole Dinosaur-themed Golf Course. It's one of the many things that makes this park so very Jurassic!" It said, before cutting off. Brooklynn chuckled. "What does that even mean?" She asked. "I thought I knew." Darius replied, looking out the window. "My whole life, I had this idea of Jurassic World. My dad used to say this place was 'All-osaurus and a bag of chips.'" He continued, with a small smile, not looking at the group, as his smile turned to a frown. "He was so corny." He muttered, but the others heard him. "Um, was? So your dad is...." Ben trailed off, but Darius knew what he meant and nodded slowly, shocking everyone. "I'm sorry Darius." Sammy spoke up. "Ugh! 'Sorry.' Nice one, Sammy, ya ding-dong. Like sorry could begin to--" "Darius cut her off. "It's okay." He said, before Kenji spoke up. "Hey, at least you dad never saw what a dumpster fire this place turned out to be, huh?" He asked, earning an elbow to the gut from (Y/n). "Ow! What? I meant it's cool that Darius and his dad were so close. I can count on one hand the amount of times me and my dad have done... anything." He said, looking at the girl. "Kenji, that's just real sad." Sammy commented. "Yeah.... Did I mention I have a bowling ally?" He replied, trying to lighten the mood. "Dang it!" Ben cried out, making the others look at him. "Ben? What is it?" (Y/n) asked, getting up from her spot to kneel next to Ben's seat.
      "Bumpy stepped in something icky and I'm low on sanitizer." he answered, pouring what little sanitizer he had in his hand. (Y/n) went to say something but was stopped by Ben. "It's fine. I can make more." he said with an annoyed tone. "Ben, why are you here?" Kenji asked, making (Y/n) glare at him, before turning back to Ben. "What he means is, you're scared of dinosaurs, and the outside, and sometimes the inside, an germs." She explained, listing Ben's fears. "Whipped cream, for some reason." Sammy added. "The way it moves." Ben shuddered. "Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. What's the deal?" Kenji said. "My mom works for Mr. Masrani. She got me into camp." Ben explained. "Said it would be a great way to 'face my fears.' I only agreed because she told me it would be a chance for me to meet (Y/n)." He continued, making (Y/n) give off a confused look. "Why me?" She asked. Ben blushed and looked down, before sighing. "I've been a fan of you and your brother for a while. You've been my celebrity crush for a year. I kind of got excited about the chance to meet you." He said, shocking (Y/n) even more. "But, the rest of this has been a total nightmare! I'm tired of being afraid. Tired of getting in everyone's way." Ben muttered. The group fell into silence yet again, as they returned to their seats. (Y/n) began to lean on Kenji again, but he suddenly stood up. "I'm sorry. I can't." He said, holding his hands up. (Y/n) looked at him with a confused expression. "You can't? Can't what?" She asked. "I can't this." He replied, pointing between the two of them. (Y/n)'s confused expression turned into a mix of hurt and offense. "Um, what?" She asked, standing up. The two didn't seem to notice the others watching this transpire. "Look, you're a great girl, and I really like you, but... this isn't going to work." Kenji started, backing up slightly. (Y/n) now gave off an annoyed look.
      "Care to explain?" She asked, slowly glaring at the boy. "Ben's right. Once this is over, we won't be seeing each other again. It's best that we don't get attached." Kenji said. (Y/n) scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Okay. If I remember correctly, you were the one who said, 'rich and famous, meant to be', you were the one who continuously flirted with me, you were the one who asked me for my number, you were the one who asked me out on a date, and you were the one who kissed me. The person who is attached is you. I was just stupid enough to fall for you little play boy act." She said, backing Kenji into a corner. She glared at him before turning around. "Hey wait, (Y/n)! I wasn't trying to make you look stupid. I really do like you, I just... don't want to get hurt." Kenji said, making (Y/n) sarcastically chuckle. "Oh, you don't want to get hurt. Is that right? Well then it makes sense to make me hurt. As long as you're okay, then that makes it totally fine, right?!" She responded, turning around to face Kenji, who had pretty much had enough of this. "Look, I tried to let you down easy, you're just being too stupid to understand that I can't be with you." He said, returning her glare. "Oh, so now I'm stupid?! Big talk coming from someone who things a bad stench killed the Dinosaurs!" (Y/N) retorted, and the two got closer to each others faces, their glares not backing down. "Guys, maybe you two should spend some time alone?" Darius asked, stepping beside the two. "You know what? I don't have to deal with this. Maybe I should have left you to Toro! In fact, I hope Toro finds those little Raptors of yours and has a late night snack!" Kenji yelled, shocking everyone, especially (Y/n). The girl's face then went anger, to shock, to a mix of hurt, sadness, and betrayal. Kenji's face softened when he saw this change. "(Y-y/n)... I'm sor--" (Y/n) cut him off with a slap across the face. "Screw you." She muttered, glaring at him as tears threatened to fall. Kenji was shocked and hurt at this. He reached out for her slowly, but a sudden crash made the Monorail shake, and make them all fall over. They ran to the back of the Monorail and looked outside. "Guys...." (Y/n) muttered when she spotted some Pteranodons. "We gotta turn off the lights!" She yelled, snatching the flashlight from Kenji, before hitting the lights. Kenji went to look out the window, and when (Y/n) broke two of the lights, he gasped when he saw what (Y/n) was talking about. "Flying reptiles are basically sea birds. They're attracted to shiny, moving objects. With all these lights on we're a shinny moving object!" She explained, breaking two more lights. The others gasped in fear and went to grab flashlights. However, Ben didn't have one. "W-what am I supposed to do?!" He asked, fearfully. "Just keep close to me!" (Y/n) answered, pulling Ben close as she and the others destroyed the lights. When they were done with the back cart, they moved to the next one. "Brooklynn, you're with Yasmina, Sammy you help Ben and Bumpy across!" Darius ordered as they moved from one cart to the other. Destroying all the lights. When they got to the last one, Darius looked outside and saw another, already broken Monorail blocking their path. "At least we know what that explosion earlier was." (Y/n) said, looking at the boy. "I told you!" Kenji yelled. "Kenji shut up!" (Y/n) yelled, glaring at him. "If we don't switch tracks, or stop this thing right now, we're going to hit that think full speed." Darius warned. Kenji pointed to the front of the Monorail. "The front car, there's control panels there. VIP tour, I was 8, they let me drive." He explained. The others tried to open the jammed door, while (Y/n) stayed back and tried to calm Ben. Darius looked up and saw an emergency exit. "I'm gonna get to the control panel through there!" He announced, running to it. "You're gonna what?!" Sammy asked in shock. "You can't go out there! That's where the flying whatevers are!" Kenji yelled. "Me, (Y/n), and--" Darius looked at Ben, who was hiding his head in (Y/n)'s shoulder. (Y/n) looked at Darius concerned, and shook her head. "We're the only ones who can fit." He announced, about to climb through the exit, but a Pteranodon crashed into the monorail, making it shake, and the others, including Darius fall down. Be looked at (Y/n), who looked back at him before nodding, and helping him up, before climbing up herself. "Ben! (Y/n)! What are you guys doing?" Darius asked, poking his head through the exit. "We can do this! Just distract them!" Ben yelled, as (Y/n) swung her flash light at an approaching Pteranodon. The two slowly made their way to the control panel, with (Y/n) fighting off any Pteranodons that didn't get distracted by the others. Ben got the exit of the front car and let out a relieved laugh. However, his relief was soon over come with terror when he turned around. A Pteranodon had snuck up behind them. "(Y/n)! Watch out!" He yelled, as the Pteranodon grabbed the girl. She let out a scream as it tried to fly away, but Ben grabbed her by the ankle, holding onto the handle of the exit so they wouldn't get carried off. (Y/n) looked between the Pteranodon, her ankle, and Ben a few times, before coming to a realization. "(Y/n)! Grab my arm!" Ben yelled. "Ben! Let me go!" She yelled back. "What? Are you crazy?! This thing will kill you! Grab my arm, I'll pull you to safety!" Be replied, not letting go of (Y/n). "Ben! You're running out of time! Just get to the control Panel and save the others!" (Y/n) yelled, secretly pulling he flashlight out. "No! I'm not letting you die!" Ben yelled back, tearfully. "Ben." (Y/n) said calmly, making him look up at her. He saw her apologetic eyes, and calming smile. "It's okay." She said, her smile not disappearing. "(Y/n).... no...." He muttered. (Y/n) gave him the kindest smile she could muster, before pulling the flashlight out and hitting his had with it. The sudden pain made him let go. "(Y/N)!!!" He yelled as he watched the girl scream while she was carried away. The Pteranodon carried her for a few minutes, before dropping her on the ground, she let out a groan as she stood up, but the Pteranodon wasn't through with her. It landed in front of her, making her gasp in fear.
      Meanwhile, Ben yelled in frustration, tears filling his eyes as he entered the control panel. Once he was in, he looked around, but had no idea what to do. He started pushing random buttons, before pulling a lever, which made the tracks switch, right before the monorail was about to hit the other monorail. The others cheered when they saw that they survived and rushed back to the front to cheer for Ben. However, when they got there, and Ben opened the door, their smiles soon disappeared. They all looked at Ben and saw that he was crying. "Ben" What is it?" Brooklynn asked. All Ben could do though, was cry. "Ben? Wait, where's (Y/n)?" Kenji asked, as he and the others looked around the car. "Where is she?" Yaz repeated. "S-she's gone." He said through tears. The others gasped. "What do you mean she's gone?" Kenji asked frantically. "I mean she's gone! A Pteranodon grabbed her, and I wasn't able to save her!" Ben yelled, tears pouring down. "Ben, calm down. It's okay." Darius said, moving towards him, but a Pteranodon flew through the window and grabbed Ben. Darius grabbed his had, and the Pteranodon let go. However, Ben was slipping from Darius' grasp, and he was slipping fast.
      (Y/n) stared at the Pteranodon in fear. This really would be how she died. She grabbed on to a tree branch, but sheer pain shot through her arm from her wrist, causing her to scream in pain, and fall to the ground. The Pteranodon screeched at her, making her whimper in fear. She scooted away from the dinosaur, as it approached her. Her hand bumped into something, prompting her to look at the ground. "A raptor skull!" She said in surprise, picking it up. The Pteranodon screeched at her again, making her whimper in fear. Putting the raptor skull up to her mouth, she blew in it. The Pteranodon stopped approaching her and looked at her. The two waited for a second, but nothing happened. The Pteranodon slowly approached her again, and (Y/n) hugged her knees to her chest. The Pteranodon got ready to pounce, but before it could, the was a roar coming from above (Y/n). Both (Y/n) and the Pteranodon looked up and saw.......Blue.