Chapter 68

Darkness, why do I only see darkness?

I am built to live in the darkness, made for it. But why does going back to the dark seem unappealing? Even as a human the dark was my home a place I could go to be alone. This darkness does not seem appealing. It's lonely swallowing up everything that makes it comforting.

All there is darkness so dark I can't see anything, not even myself. It almost feels like I don't exist like I am the darkness and the darkness is me but I am nothing at all.

"Hello," I call...at least I think I do I don't hear anything. Moving through the dark I look in every direction "hello?"

A deafening noise surrounds me. Covering my ears the sound doesn't go away. I swear my ears are bleeding. The noise stops, and slowly I remove my hands from my ears like it even helped. Looking at my hands I reel back.

Most of my hands I can't see from the blood that covers them. As black as the space around me. Slowly a small light begins to flicker far in the distance. As it gets brighter the space around me doesn't change. No floor, no roof, no walls I am not flouting as I am standing but standing on nothing.

Covering my eyes I move closer to the light. Dark wisps swirl around the bright ball of light seeming almost like an infection but fully part of it. The light deems enough for me to remove my hand from my eyes. I look at it in wonder. Colours swirl together meshing into one ball in perfect harmony.

I watch the beautiful dance as they swirl around seeming like they are talking but not wanting to fully mix. They seem whole one perfect entity but...it seems empty lonely like something very important is missing.

Reaching out I brush one of the wisps as they pass Warm touches my cold skin. Gasping I step back as the wisp splits breaking out of the group. Falling back I move away keeping my eyes locked on the ball. The wisp I touched breaks away from the group coming closer my way. I stop watching mesmerized as the wisp circles my frozen form.

Warmth flows around me where the wisp passes warming my cold skin. More wisp follows matching the first one as they swirl. Soon the ball is gone as the wisps swirl around my body. Some touch my skin sinking beneath the surface and merging with my body.

A dark hand shoots out grabbing my wrist in a death grip. The wisps part lets a dark form pass. I watch as I walk into the circle the wisps staying away from the dark form. The copy of me doesn't speak as it squeezes my wrist. Looking over the form I try to pull away. "No no, I left that part of myself let go." I cry tugging so hard anyone else's hand would have shattered it doesn't let go its grip getting stronger.

I gaze into my eyes not silver, not red, not even my old brown just dark lifeless like nothing is there. Pulling I scream but it doesn't let go. "I left you behind you don't belong here I left you I left you," it... I pull me closer. I scream as it grabs my other hand.

Cold numbness swells where it touches me. I stand frozen as the dark skin melts as the light did merging into me. I want to retch at the feeling, cold frostbitten that's how it feels as it dissolves into my body. " Death is not always the end of life...death is not the end but the beginning of a new life a new person leaving behind the old...you were meant for great things more things...I think I found what I was meant to do...be honourable but not merciful ones without honour do not deserve your mercy...Jordan would be proud remember that...you will never be alone we will be with you always...I will protect you no matter what...No one hurts my family as long as I am still standing...my friends are my family I will protect them with my life...

You should have kept your shield up..." I fall at least I think I do. The voices...the words all spoken honestly. The wisps return filling my body with warmth as I fall. The memories of the words spoken by me and others are all lessons from the life I lived, lessons I will take with me...always. "My friends are my family I will protect them with my life...always."

My eyes open tearing up at the onslaught of light. Blinking I take a deep breath relishing the fresh air. Why is there a weight on my chest?

Looking down I spot Everly sleeping on my chest. Looking around I smile Josh and Jaylin are curled up on my left and Enya is sleeping on my right. Liam, Damon, Eric, Diana, Sam, Bella, Lucifer, Melanie, Ashlyn, Deric, Cherise, and Ailen are all sleeping on the floor or in chairs around me.

Looking out the window my eyes tear up at the sun just rising over the top of the trees. "Kaindra?" A sleepy voice asks on my right.

"Yes, Enya?"

I watch as she rubs her eyes sitting "Kaindra?"

"Huhmm."

"KAINDRA," Enya screams jumping on me. I move Everly out of the way as Enya grasps my neck squeezing. "I thought I lost you," I pat her back feeling drops of water on my neck.

"I wouldn't allow you to lose me," I whisper watching over her as everyone else wakes up from her scream.

Quickly everyone is awake as they see me watching them "Kaindra," they cry rushing over to my side.

Putting Enya on the bed beside me I push myself up so I am sitting. "Hey, guys how is everyone?"

They laugh each coming over to hug me. "Just like you to have almost died to be asking about how we are typical Kain," Bella says pulling the triplets off me.

Chuckling I shrug "it's what I do. How long was I out anyway?"

Lucifer comes over kneeling beside me "only a day but everyone was worried as your heart stopped. You had me worried there I have never seen anyone use that much power at once, you dined yourself completely."

Shrugging I smile innocently "I had no choice everyone was exhausted we needed to end it quickly. What exactly happened?"

"You killed them all," Diana says shrugging like it's no big deal.

"I know that but how what did I do exactly?"

"By the looks of it some you blew to pieces others you burned, froze, suffocated, some looked like you shredded them, some got crushed, basically every possible way to kill you did," Liam says grinning at me.

Rolling my eyes at him I go to stand up. "Wow, what are you doing?" Damon asks pushing me down.

"I am hungry and want to get out of this bed," I move to get up again but he holds me down.

"You drained yourself you should be resting," he says.

Pushing his hands off my shoulders I open my palm showing him the elements "I am fine I have been resting for a day. Plus I want food so.."

He sighs moving out of my way. Quickly leaving the room I observe the space below. Things are back to the way they were before. Everyone is doing normal chores and the atmosphere is light again. All traces of what happened outside the gates are gone. All the blood and bodies were gone without a trace.

"How many did we lose?" I ask as they leave the room.

"Twenty," Melanie says leaning on the railing beside me.

Sighing I squeeze her shoulder "I'm sorry."

She waves me away watching her people bellow "it's better than what it could have been." I nod she turns to me her eyes sad but hopeful "thank you Kaindra for doing what you did you saved a lot of people."

Hugging her I nod "You're welcome." She holds me tightly for a second before letting go. I wave to her watching as my friends...my family mingle and work with the others.

This is my home, these my people, they are safe that is all I could ask for. Jumping off the deck I land quickly running to the gate. Now I am hungry and I smell a deer close by.

Comment, vote, and share