Chapter 1- Handsome Man

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I groaned at the alarm clock. Why do they intend to perfectly disturb peaceful sleep? I threw my left hand over and tried to turn it off. I completely missed the clock and hit the nightstand instead. Muffling curse words I sat up and put my feet in the floor. I unplugged the annoying clock and ran a hand over my face. Alright Lilly, I thought to myself, time to get up. I slowly made my way to my small bathroom. I lived in a flat, so it wasn't anything huge.

I looked in the mirror and sighed. My long blonde hair was a mess, a hot mess as my older sister Sarah would say. But not really. My eyes looked tired as usual, nothing a little makeup couldn't fix. My gaze then went down to my arm. My non-existent right arm. Covered in fading scars.

I lost it when I was sixteen in a car accident. A drunk driver hit me, I was alone thankfully. But afterwards my arm was amputated, first to the elbow and then six months later to the shoulder. It was difficult learning to be left handed, but I've been making it.

I mean come on, I live alone. I think I'm doing pretty good at this point.

I slowly straightened my hair with a flat iron, I couldn't put it up in a ponytail. It was pretty annoying, but like everything else, I got used to it. I did my hair and makeup, then went to find something to wear. It was a long process to get dressed, but it was possible.

I finally went to find some breakfast, that was at least easy to make. Cereal and orange juice, the usual. I'd go down to my favorite coffee shop before work, I'm a journalist so I don't go in very early unless I'm on a big job.

I grabbed my laptop bag and purse making sure everything was turned off. I walked down the stairs and went out in the dreary London overcast.

I made sure to say hello to old man John who always sat outside of my normal café. "Why hello Lilly! How's your day?" John asked with a smile.

I smiled back, "I'm doing very well. How have you been?" I asked and he shook his head.

"I'm just getting older like any other day. Found yourself a man yet?" He asked and I had to laugh. He always asked if I had met anyone.

"No John, no one right now." I said laughing. We talked for a while longer and I then entered the café.

As soon as I walked in I was greeted by the staff. They were sorta my friends. I ordered the usual and sat down at a table. Usually at this time I'd pull out my laptop and think on what to write today, but I didn't feel like it right now.

I thought about what John said. Found yourself a man yet? I sighed, if only he knew I never would. I don't think I'd ever find someone, who would want to date me? I'm a freak, as you could call it. I've lost an arm for heaven sakes! I probably scare children! Who would want to even come close to a romantic relationship with me?

I sighed and slumped a little in my chair, and yet here I am with all the good advise to give to my friends when their relationships fall apart. They come to me for help, cry on my shoulder and somehow they still find love the next day. I'm jealous, I'm the first person to admit it. No man would want to bother with me, feel the need to help me 24/7. I just wasn't designed to be in a relationship.

I took another sip of my coffee, burning my tongue and almost cursing aloud.

My phone buzzed and I answered it. It was a text. I ignored it though, I didn't feel like it. I looked around the coffee shop to see who was inside.

Two women probably friends, an older man talking to one of the employes and a man who looked about my age. He looked really tall, had curly blonde hair, blue eyes I could see from here and very chiseled features on his face. He was reading something on his phone, his eyebrows brought together. He smirked and I brought my head back around in case he saw me looking.

I took out my phone and slowly went through my huge bin of emails, slowly sipping my coffee as I went. Great, I thought at I went through, I have two things I need to be writing today. I sighed and took another drink of my now cold coffee. I sighed and pulled myself out of the chair. I had to go work at some point.

I stood up and grabbed my purse and laptop case. As I stood up I saw the handsome man my age had already stood up and was at the door. I thought he was going to hold the door open for me like most normal people did, but no this time it felt different. As he held it for me he smiled. And it wasn't a I should be helping you because it's the right thing to do smile. It felt like a real genuine smile.

"Hey." He said as I passed and I smiled back.

"Hello." I said quietly, feeling my cheeks redden and turned to walk down the street to my office. Darn! Why did I just say that and leave? He could have liked me? But would he? Maybe he's not that observant and didn't see my missing arm. Oh well, didn't matter anyway. If we did, would it work?

No.

Relationships never work.

I sighed and continued the short walk to my office. Did I just make a huge mistake?

•••

Do you like this? I know it's kinda depressing but I wanted to show what she was going through. And yes, that was Tom. I know you were expecting a little more but ya know...not yet. :)

Comment, vote, love, hate! XD