Chapter Four: I'm a People Pleaser

You have to believe me when I tell you that I'm not normally one for passing out. That's usually Reese's job. So passing out twice within the span of around a day was unheard of for me.

Unlike when Alaric had choked me out, I woke up feeling refreshed. That is, until I remembered exactly what had happened before I blacked out. I sat up, half expecting to find myself back in my bed just like the first time. Instead, I was on an unfamiliar couch with a blanket pooled at my feet. I was in different clothes I noticed with a start. My leggings and blouse had been replaced with flowy, white cotton pants and a tank top.

"You're finally awake," Alaric said, sitting in a chair across from me with a book in his lap.

"How long were you there with Lila and I?" I asked, furrowing my brow. I hadn't noticed him before and I hadn't sensed any magic concealing him.

"Long enough. I had always suspected that Lila wasn't as strong as she seemed, but she wanted a chance to prove herself when she agreed to work with me. I had wondered if I sent her to you if you would be able to resist weaker magic like hers." His tone suggested he was disappointed that I hadn't fully resisted her and I suddenly found myself desperate to please him. I didn't want him to be disappointed in me.

"I could have resisted her easily if I wanted to. I gave in because I didn't want either of you to know the extent of my abilities," I said, the words falling out before I could stop them.

"Why would you do that, Emerson?" Alaric's voice was gentler than I'd ever heard it and again, I sensed the disappointment. I should've been open with him. He wanted honesty.

"I didn't want you to think I was dangerous. If you knew the extent of my abilities, you might try harder to make me your puppet. And I will be no one's pawn." Distantly, I knew that I needed to stop talking. Why was I being so open?

"You're right. You truly won't be a pawn. I think, Emerson, you will be much more than that. What else are you hiding from me, my little genius?" He set the book that was in his lap on the table next to him and stood up, crossing over to the couch. He sat down, pulling my feet into his lap as he stared at me.

My heart began to race and I knew something was off. I really needed to stop being open. I had worked hard to keep everything a secret. I couldn't just tell him everything I was hiding.

"Come now, Emerson. Don't you want to make me happy? Tell me what you're hiding." Alaric traced my ankle bone, his fingertip soft and gentle.

"I'm hiding my full name from you. From everyone, actually. When I was sixteen, I began to do favors for the fae. The first one I helped was Lord Huntington. He tried to trick me into revealing my full name and instead I twisted it so that he would use his glamour to make everyone around me forget my full name. I am the only one who still remembers it."

"You worked with Benjamin?" Alaric raised his eyebrow at that and paused his tracing. His hand was already at my calf. I hadn't noticed him moving it.

"Yes. I have worked with the fae a fair amount. I've always had a knack for it. Benjamin had just taken over from his father and he was desperate for help. I don't know how he found out about me, but he asked me to strategize with him to make sure he could keep his title from his cousin." Again, I knew I needed to stop talking. I had sworn to Benjamin that I would never fully discuss the deal he and I had made.

"Interesting. So no one other than you knows your true name?" His hand was now at my knee and he gently massaged the inside. It sent tingles down my leg and he met my eyes and smiled. My breath caught in my chest.

"I am the only one, Lord Caitmar," I said slightly breathlessly.

"Don't you trust me, Emerson?" He asked, keeping his eyes on me as his hand crept higher.