Chapter 17-A 'Bad Day'

‘Double, double toil and trouble, cauldron burn and cauldron bubble’ –The Witches from Macbeth, a play by William Shakespeare

I severely disliked Mondays. It was like a big sign saying ‘Congratulations on entering another week of stress and minimal sleep!’ and for me it meant that my books lay abandoned on my bedside table. Unfortunately I had Chemistry first, more tutoring, with the person I may or may not like more than friend should. I rolled over and looked at my phone to see the time: 5:16 am. Brilliant, I was up too early to get ready for school and I couldn’t concentrate enough to read so I decided to work in my gym. I had no need to dress up so all I got changed into was my sweat pants and sports bra, along with my water bottle and iPod. 5 minutes later I found myself standing in front of a punching bag wrapping up my hands in the familiar white. I pressed he play button on my iPod and started punching the bag like there was no tomorrow.

Today was a definitely bad day. A day when all I could think about was my past, the things that haunted my nightmares every night. My bad days had decreased since making some friends but they never left, I never had a reprieve from it. These were the days that I wished that I could forget myself and just take a break from my reality. I was not suicidal in any way, I couldn’t bring myself to hurt my parents. I could never get away from my past because it was part of me, the real me, and it was not something that could be torn down purely because of petty selfishness. I probably deserved it. Without realising it I had started to punch the bag harder and harder until it fell on the floor. I was panting slightly when I felt that I was not alone.

“Now that is a sight I could get used to fiammella,” Adrian said, leaning up against the door of the gym. His eyes raked up and down my body appreciatively and flicked between myself and the fallen punching bag.

“Game Boy I do believe that my eyes are higher than where you appear to be looking. Did your parents never teach you that when talking to someone you should always look them in the eye?”

“I’m a teenage guy that girls practically drool over, can you blame me?” he asked.

“Yes I can actually. Apart from that, why are you in my gym?” I asked.

“I’m taking you to school,” Adrian held up his hand before I could comment, “And no arguments, it's nonnegotiable.”

“What?!” I yelled.

“You heard me, go have a shower because school starts in 40 minutes.” I had been in the gym for that long? It was a classic ‘bad day’ symptom, loss of time in which my thoughts over take my brain and I really need to let it off somehow. Woe betide those who get on my nerves today because my control was balanced on the edge of a knife, so to speak, and I did not know what would happen if it tipped for the worse.

Eventually I made my way into Adrian’s car and he made it to Bloomingfield High in one piece. He seemed to sense that today was the day not to mess with me so the car ride was ripe with silence and it was only when we reached Penny and ‘The Idiots’, as she had so aptly named them, but it was neither me nor Adrian that said the first word.

“I heard that you guys went to a dinner party on the weekend,” Jack said.

“It was nothing important,” I replied.

“So nothing happened during or after this party?” he asked.

“No so back off,” I snapped.

“Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning,” Mason teased.

“Don’t test me Mason, my self control has significantly decreased today and I'm not sure how much I have left before I snap,” I hissed through clenched teeth. He backed off pretty quickly.