S.W.A.T. Chris having a bad day

It was just another day at S.W.A.T. for everyone but Chris. Her day started out with rain pouring through the ceiling in her uncles garage, that she was temporarily living in. Her clothes had gotten soaked as she tried to fix it. On top of that she had spilled her morning coffee and was running late.

"Late night?" Street asked as he saw Chris attempting to push her bag into the locker. "Bad morning," she mumbled getting more frustrated. She finally pushed the backpack all the way in and slammed the door of the locker shut. Street put his hands up in a defensive manner as she shot him a 'don't you dare say a word' look. They walked out to the others who had gathered around the table with computer screens. Hondo gave her a concerned raised eyebrow before continuing his presentation of their latest case.
"The incident commander called and we are needed down town for a cold response," Hondo informed the team. "Cold response? Any hostages?" Luca asked. They all knew how dangerous it could be when going in with no lights and sound when a madman was holding innocence people hostage, but Luca had seen the ugly side more than the others. He had to deal with the same situations as his teammates, but he grew up with a father and grandfather who had seen similar situations. One thing is dealing with it on your own, another thing is seeing someone you care about trying to hide it from their family when it's really hurting them from the inside.
"No hostages, just 5-7 guys who are heavily weaponised. They might be in possession of a biological weapon, so under no circumstances are you to remove your mask," Hicks said in a serious tone. He looked at Hondo when continuing: "understood?" They all nodded.

Black Betty pulled up at a house two blocks from the suspects. Just to be on the safe side they parked further away in case they were watching. This neighbourhood was known for having spies in the street who warn the gangs they belong to whenever the police was nearby.
"Luca, Tan side 1 - Chris and Street backside - Deacon with me," Hondo ordered as they approached the house. The only thing that could be heard was people having a heated debate inside. None of the doors were locked, strange. They entered without anyone noticing. Chris cleared the back room and followed Street further in the house. The team met up in the middle of the house, surrounding a room with two doors. One was half way open. Five suspects all seen standing in the same room. One was obviously stressed out already as he was walking back and fourth with his hands behind his head while breathing heavily. The other four were yelling at each other. "You had one job, you moron!"
Hondo signalled the others to engage and they moved in. It was just like any other day at S.W.A.T. or so they thought.
Once the five suspects was on the ground and in cuffs another man showed up. He held a gun to the back of Chris' neck. Her breath hitched and she froze.
"Let them go or she's dead," he said catching everyone's attention. Hondo and Deacon had the same expression on their faces, professional poker face. Luca, Tan and Street couldn't help but show surprise and concern. They all changed to their poker face in seconds.
"Can't do that," Hondo said pointing his gun at him. "Put the gun down and we can talk." He added. The entire team was stuck in the room so they couldn't send one out to get a shot at him. All legal guns were pointed at the man or rather at Chris. No one had a clean shot. She knew, she knew just how screwed she was. She should had looked a second time in the back room before clearing it. She obviously missed the guy hiding. Chris blamed herself and clenched her jaw. "Take the shot," she said strongly. Hondo gave her a stern look which meant no way. Seconds turned into minutes and nothing changed. Deacon tapped Hondo on the shoulder, still holding his gun pointed at the suspect and Chris.

"Lila, I'm sorry," Deacon said looking into her eyes. She nodded. The suspect received an elbow to the stomach. Chris fell to the ground in the same second has a bullet flew through the room. "Code 26, detaining last suspect," Hondo called over the radio as Street put his knee on the back of the suspect. "Get off! You shot me!" He yelled and tried to wiggled out of the cuffs. It was a shoulder shot, enough to make him drop the gun in time for Street to tackle him to the ground.
Deacon had his arms wrapped around Chris as she tried to hide her shaking body. 'I'm a woman, I can't show weakness, but that was beyond scary' those words kept running through her mind. She was oblivious to her surroundings apart from the warmth coming from Deacons body. She felt his body move as he talked to Hondo, but she heard nothing.
She felt Deacons chest rumble again and took a step back. "I'm glad you remembered the day Lila kicked my ass with the same move," he said smiling at her.

Back at the headquarters, Chris knew what was coming and tried to avoid talking to her team members and Hicks. She had successfully done that until the end of her shift. Hondo had sneaked up on her in the locker room. "Chris, we need to talk," he said quietly. She jumped. Which she never did. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you!" Hondo said sincerely and placed his hand on his chest, exactly where his heart was.
"It's okay," she mumbled. She was stuffing her belongings into her backpack. "I'm sorry for today. It just haven't been my day and I can't seem to get anything right," she said and let out a breath she had no idea she was holding. "It happens to the best of us. I don't believe you missed the guy on purpose in the sweep," he told her. "The clean up crew found a hidden door in the back room," he continued. She looked at him for the first time since the mission. "You couldn't had known," he finished giving her a gently fist bump on the shoulder. She smiled and brushed her short hair behind her ear. "Thanks Hondo."

Unknown to the team a man got away with the suspected biological weapon. The hunt for him will continue.

> Authors note <
A digital drawing of Lina Esco as Chris Alonzo made by me :)
Feel free to leave a comment! I enjoy reading your opinion on the stories and possible a comment on the art. I would love to know what I can do better next time or what you might have liked.
Thank you