Chapter II: Skittles

"Please don't leave me again." - Jamie Zender

            The rain showered over them like huge chunks of ice, tapping against her black umbrella in an easy rhythm. Jamie’s hand was still rubbing up and down his arm and he feels the sensation endlessly sending him warmth. He never felt a complete ecstasy such as this and it sparks into him like wild fire, reaching each and every part of his weak body. He feels his heart beating loudly like a drum in his ears. He tried to calm down, thinking maybe she might hear the heavy pulse and he actually hopes she will. His eyes never left her and he almost imagined himself drowning in her brown chocolate orbs. For the first time ever in his life, he felt the world stop and there was only Jamie, standing before him.

            She suddenly smiles in an unexpected bliss, nearly making Raven fall onto his knees and melt all over the place. “So,” she finally spoke, “what are you doing here?”

            Jamie looked around, wondering about the place and trying to contemplate a reason why he was there. She thought for a second. Maybe he was watching me over these bushes. But her conception was quickly fading, just like the way the petals would fly at a distance when they would shuffle against the tall shrub. Albeit, she wanted to believe that what she thought was right. She wanted to see if she can have a chance for him.

            She just doesn’t know.

            And Raven doesn’t know what to say.

            He was a tad bit silent, with only his heavy breaths making an awkward sound between them. He kept thinking and thinking, until he has given up and Jamie had to ask it again, but in a different question. “Are you hiding?” she said, “From someone?”

            Yes, he’s hiding. Yes, he’s hiding from someone. And that someone is the person standing in front of him, all eyes fixed on Raven’s own dark pair of orbs.

            He doesn’t want to answer. He thinks he has now gotten trapped by her conscious inquisitions. And still, he doesn’t utter a single word. He looks down, embarrassed and shameful of himself. There’s a dilemma sprawling through his head. One half of him wants to kill her, get the silver soul and end it all at once. And the other half just wants to forget everything his father wished him to do and cup that angelic face staring at him, innocent and harmless.

            Only now she’s just harmless. But sooner or later, she will know what she is capable of, how many demons she can kill in just one slice of her power, how many souls she can save, and how great of a hero she’ll turn out in the end.

            Jamie brings down her arm back to her side, sighs, squints at Raven and studies his white pale face. She eyes him like a mindful feline, suspicious of his ambience. “You really don’t talk much, do you?” She nods, even when she’s not quite sure if it’s true, she agrees with herself anyway. She tilts her head to the right. Then to the left. She considers his small gestures, movements, and behaviors as a chance of knowing him more – since he doesn’t say a single word after all.

            Raven. Just how the name applies to him. He’s like the darkness, so quiet and so reserved. He knows that he has the ability to talk, to speak, to be human, to be normal despite of what he’s standing as. Yet he doesn’t dwell with it. He ignores the opportunity to feel surreal, to seem alive just for a while.

            “Don’t say anything if it’s not necessary. Keep your filthy mouth shut.” Lucifer would tell him all the time when he goes out for his duties, when he goes out for killing souls. He tells him rules. He shouts out orders. And he never even tries to be a good father to Raven.