The Meeting

Leon "Bell" Ivanov, KGB

Moscow, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics

July 11th, 1981

I did not expect Portnova to lead me into the Kremlin. But when I ask her who we are going to meet, she just ignores me.

"The meeting is just up ahead"

I can't help but notice that she does know her way around the hallways. This doesn't seem to be her first time here.

She also got me a suit while she is wearing her Spetsnaz uniform. "I didn't know you were a Lieutenant." I tell her.

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me. A good spy never reveals all her secrets." she teases me.

"Good. That means I have a lot to discover about you. Keeps things interesting." I try to tease her back. She rolls her eyes in fake annoyance and smiles.

"Ah, here it is." she opens a large wooden double door and we enter a conference room where all our team members are assembled.

Portnova salutes and introduces ourselfes. The others do as well and we sit down.

"So you are the former Perseus operative?" Powers asks.

I nod. "Sadly. But now I'm on your side."

Powers narrowed her eyes. "We'll see about that."

I scoff. "That's rich coming from an american."

Portnova gabs my by the arm "Comrades, please. We are all friends here. We share the same goals, remember that."

"But she..."

"No buts!" You behave like fucking kids!" she shouted. Damn, she can be quite scary when angry. But I have to admit, even then does she look cute.

She finally lets go of me arm and I apologize to Powers. She does as well.

After a few more minutes, the doors open and two soldiers come in, armed with AK-47s. "Attention!" they shout and we stand up.

I can't believe my eyes. General Secretary Brezhnev enters the room and takes a seat at the end of the conference table. Although he is tall, he looks nothing like his portrait.

The man has clearly gotten old, sick and was suffering from overweight

The man has clearly gotten old, sick and was suffering from overweight. I remember that this was one of the reasons why I joined Perseus in the first place. How can we expect someone like him to lead us through this dark time?

Another man with a briefcase comes in. The guards leave and close the door behind them and Brezhnev starts talking. "Greetings, comrades. I am glad to finally meet you. If you haven't met him already, this is Yuri Andropov, Chairman of the KGB." He pointed at the other man with the briefcase. So he was the man on the phone.