19. Blinded

Author's note: Thank you for everyone who responded to the feedback chapter. I value each comment and  have made improvements based on the feedback as you can see in the following chapter. I have also edited previous chapters. Please note; the plot has not been changed. 
As a sweet reward I have written an extra long chapter. Enjoy your weekend. 

****

Holding her breath, Meh'r-Bano nervously stood beside Shafiq in the early hours of the morning. Together with tense villagers of Chiragpur they flocked on the dry field around around Ghafoor. Ghafoor was the official spokesman who made public pronouncements on behalf of the noble household. Ghafoor was a large man with a booming voice reaching far and wide. Holding a piece of paper in his left hand with the diagram of Chiragpur, each household that would incur a fine due to attending the rally was marked in red. In a land where no one could read and write, communication was only through word of mouth. There was no letters, no summons, just Ghafoor's thundering voice announcing the names he'd learned off by heart.
"The Noble Household has fined Mohammed Jamil's household ten thousand rupees and one bag of grains for disloyalty by attending the rally in the grand bazaar!" Ghafoor roared followed by a gasp and cry.
Every home was identified by the head of the household; a father, a husband, a son. If there were no men alive, the deceased name would be called out. Pronouncing a woman's name was shameful and immodest to the household.
"The Noble Household has fined Imitiaz Hussain's household ten thousand rupees and one bag of grains for disloyalty by attending the rally in the grand bazaar!" Another loud wail and cry.
"You stupid woman!" Yelled a loud male voice who pushed his woman out of the crowd and made their way back home. The men incurred the fine even if he wasn't present at the rally. The action of each member of the household was burdened upon the male leader. Women were invisible. Shafiq stood watching the names being called with Meh'r-Bano. 
 "I have no sympathy for these stupid people." Said Shafiq. "They betrayed the noble household by attending the rally. They deserve all the punishment they get, maybe this is too lenient. Choudhary Dilawar-Baksh is merciful."
Meh'r-Bano watched as women wept behind the muffles of their chador. A new fine adding to their burden of debt. There was no way out.
"Muzaamil is a weak man." Said Shafiq to a fellow villager. "He has no sons and no future to offer Jahanpur. We must side with the strong leader, and Choudhary Shah-Nawaz is the future of Jahanpur. He will have sons that will lead Jahanpur and protect us." Sons were a sign of strength and having a male progeny was a powerful weapon. Women usually married and left their household; weakening the father.
"Let's go." Meh'r-Bano tugged her husband's arm eager to leave the crowd. She was certain her name wasn't on the list, but hearing the cries and wails from the crowd made her realise how fortunate she was. She was terrified at the thought of Shafiq's name being called out and learning of her attending the rally. How would she explain it to him?
"Look at them. Crying. I have no sympathy for weak pathetic men who have no control over their women. Women shouldn't be at the grand bazaar nor at the rallies. Women will drag men to hell." The fellow villager agreed.

Slowly the crowd dispersed and Shafiq left with Meh'r-Bano at ease that she'd escaped the register.
"I'm going to be late now." Said Meh'r-Bano making her way to Shafiq's bike. "You know how Choudhrani Maalikah hates me being late. I have to wake the children and Harris is a nightmare to wake up."
Me'hr-Bano sat on the front frame of the bike cushioning herself with a homemade pillow especially sewn for the bike. Shafiq peddled along the pothole ridden road when a motorbike roared passed him.
"My debt is decreasing and soon I can put money aside for a motorbike."
Meh'r-Bano's eye lit up gazing at her husband.
"We can take babu to the city and maybe get him treated."
"Really? Can we do that?" Meh'r-Bano had pleaded Shafiq to take him, but he couldn't afford the costs.
"I have only five and a half thousand rupees to pay Meh'r-Bano and that is thanks to you." Shafiq gazed at Meh'r-Bano who draped her head with a black chador.
"I'm so proud of you that you are bringing money home and helping me. At first, I was worried at the idea of you at the haveli, but now you have strengthened me and improved our finances. You are not like the other woman in Chiragpur who gossip. You are intelligent and that's why I get a little nervous when you are out and about."
Meh'r-Bano smiled, she looked up at Shafiq and touched his stubbly chin. "It makes me happy when you say that Shafiq. Everything I do is to make you happy."
"You've stopped teaching the children at the quarry and now my heart is at rest. I know that you won't get into trouble with the noble household. They don't like rebels and I was worried you were turning into one. Keep your head down and do what they say. Don't make waves."
Meh'r-Bano jumped off the bike when it approached the haveli and stood beside Shafiq. She held his hand and he quickly withdrew it.
"Don't you have any shame. The guards are looking." He snapped.
She smiled with warmth. "You are my world, Shafiq. You are my home. I can't wait to take babu to the city and get him some help. Maybe he will begin to talk or use the other arm." She flustered in excitement. "Once you buy a motorbike we can go on evening rides out of Jahanpur." She shared his dream.
"Of course we can. Once we have a motorbike our fate will change. You are helping me with your income. I'm proud of you."
Meh'r-Bano watched Shafiq ride along the road. A weight lifted from his shoulders when his debts were clear. Finances impacted his health a great deal. By removing the colossal debt, their marriage improved. He was present and spent more time with her. He shared sweet words that bought them together. Seeing the improvement, altered her mother in law's mood. So, Meh'r-Bano decided it was best to concentrate on her home. To give all her wages to Shafiq and clear their debts. She would reserve a few hundred for books, he didn't need to know that. Soon their fate would change, and they could buy a motorbike. With a skip in her step she greeted the guards and made her way into the haveli.