Chapter 29 - You'll Never Make It

Lynn

After a quick excuse about thinking she saw a spider, she ran out of the dining hall and picked up Lana. Thankfully Marina was already there because she was the nurse, after checking for any major injuries Marina and Lynn dragged Lana to the castle. It was in the middle of the night when they reached and when Makani brought the GloBals in she and Marina didn't tell anyone about Lana. She prayed Lana was still unconscious.

Lynn was in a trailer with Fawn and Raven. Raven looked to the ground her black hair falling around her, hiding her face. Fawn looked up, she chewed on her lip and a tear rolled down her cheek.

"Fawn?"

Fawn looked to her.

"We're travelling north. Back to the academy. Lana was still unconscious when it happened. They don't know where she is. Aithne, Rekka, Adara and Marie are in another trailer like ours probably,"

"How did they know?" Fawn asked shaking her head.

"Makani told them everything," Lynn said. "Probably since you got her, she's been feeding them information."

Lynn slid across the ground and banged against the door as they turned a corner. The ground beneath them was rough and they bounced up and down as they trailer moved.

"It doesn't make sense," Raven said, "When Makani came why didn't they just get us then, it doesn't make sense, and now when Dahlia and Roxy left, they show up all of a sudden."

"You think Dahlia," Lynn repeated, trying to make sense of Raven's words, "You think Dahlia and Roxy are one of them?"

"Not Roxy, no way Roxy, but Dahlia," Raven said.

"No! I trust her," Lynn protested.

"We trusted Makani, didn't we? And look where that got us."

Fawn spoke up giving Raven a dirty look, "It is kind of fishy, I suppose, we're meant to believe she's from the souls world,"

Raven piped up, "She then becomes friends with Mishal and Guthrie who are both stuck in the academy being drained lifeless-"

Lynn flinched but Raven continued.

"Then she disappears off with Roxy and Makani binds us all up and stuffs us in a trailer, delivered straight to the academy,"

"What's fishy is why you let Makani in? You said she saw her memories!"

"She did," Raven said but she seemed troubled as she said.

"Oh really? Were you there?"

"Ravie," Fawn whispered and sat up straighter, "Dahlia's grandmother, she brought Makani here."

Lynn closed her eyes. "Dahlia's grandmother also brought the rest of you here."

"Why did she leave then? Why didn't she come back for us? She left no instructions. Nothing!"

"It's not true. You can't do that. There's no proof against either of them. It's what they want to happen. They want to tear us apart."

Even Fawn looked doubtful. Raven laughed, "A softie aren't you, Linnie. You'll never make it."

Dahlia

Dahlia, Roxy and Guthrie were travelling towards the castle when a dark bird flew onto Roxy's shoulder. Dahlia and Guthrie took a step back but realised it was clutching something in its beak. Roxy took it and the bird flew away. 

"Raven's raven," Roxy laughed, "One of the most intelligent creatures; a Raven. It's her familiar,"

"Familiar? Like a witch's familiar,"

"Every life spirit eventually gets one, a close animal they bond to. Raven got hers early. Hmmm, let's see."

She read it, her face tense as she finished it. Her voice was hard as she repeated it to them.