Chapter 26 - Checkmate

A/N - So this is a pretty short chapter, basically it's one of Mishal's flashbacks she's having while she's still unconscious and being experimented on. This chapter gives us more of a backstory on Mishal - and because she's (mostly) everyone's favourite character I thought it was important. Have fun reading! 

Mishal and Azzie were playing chess. Azzie had scorched the chess piece symbols on different rocks and Mishal carried them around in a bag everywhere. It was her only possession.

The wind was warm and the sand the wind brought a long with it stung Mishal's skin, but Mishal was staring at the chess pieces on a piece of wood.

Mishal looked to Azzie and saw that Azzie was smirking. It was the smirk she gave Mishal when Mishal did something wrong or when Azzie was about to win.

It was the 'I know something you don't' smirk. Azzie was renowned for it. Azzie liked to think she knew a lot of things, but Mishal knew the truth, Azzie just pretended.

Azzie and Mishal were a lot younger than the memory in the crystal ball. Aster was around thirteen and Mishal was around six.

Mishal looked down at the chess board. And realised why Aster was smirking. Mishal the only place Mishal could move her king was to the left, and then Aster would move her rook to the right and Mishal would be in checkmate.

She was going to lose. Anything she would do, would end up in her losing.

So she threw the board. The chess pieces flew in the sky and then scattered across the sand.

The last thing she saw was Azzie's knowing smirk wipe off her face before the world went dark once again.