TWENTY

"Life is not how it is supposed to be. It is the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference." -- Unknown

++ C H A P T E R | T W E N T Y ++

Elliott could feel his heart pounding as he pulled at his uniform uncomfortably. It was the first scrimmage of the season, and Elliott had those pregame jitters. Brent seemed comfortable, but Elliott could tell his was upset. And Elliott couldn't blame him.

Elliott was amazed Brent was being so nice to him. He was sure that Brent would go back to bullying him once Natasha wasn't there to put him in his place. Elliott was also amazed Brent wasn't bringing anything up from last night. Elliott wasn't stupid - he knew Brent was curious. He also knew that he'd put Brent in an awkward position last night. However, Brent didn't say a thing. Just like Wes hadn't

Elliott had never been more thankful for his friends. If they were even that.

"You ready to win?" Brent looked over at Elliott, a smile on his face. It was forced, but he had to move on from Natasha. This was the first scrimmage, and Brent wasn't about to let his emotions ruin the game and how he played.

Elliott only nodded. Brent had learned too much last night. Seeing Elliott so messed up was something Brent should have never seen, but it had happened anyway. And Elliott hated it. He needed to do more to push Brent away, but he didn't want to. God, he didn't want to.

"Look at the fresh meat. They look so uncomfortable it's almost funny." Brent couldn't help but snicker as he watched the new boys look frightened at the sight of the other team. Brent and Elliott knew they had this game in the bag, but the new boys had no clue.

"Coach won't be pleased if they mess up." Elliott grumbled. Last year, coach took it out on the entire team when the new boys messed up. Sure, Elliott was new last year, but he wasn't like the others. No, he was undeniably skilled for reasons unknown. Elliott was never good at anything, but the moment he was handed his first soccer ball - a gift from Anna - he was a natural. And when Adrian and Mat pushed him to try out, he had no choice but to do just that.

"Okay, team. It's no surprise that Elliott will be center. Brent, you're left field.' Elliott tuned out after that. He could care less about the others on the team. He wanted to say he could care less about Brent too, but he didn't. He cared too much about Brent, and it was unhealthy. It wasn't natural. Elliott knew he didn't deserve happiness, but he wanted it so badly. He wanted it as much as he needed air to breathe.

"Knew we'd be starting. Let's show these boys just who's boss." Brent smiled wickedly at Elliott before jogging onto the field. Elliott followed shortly, wishing he felt as carefree as Brent.

Brent was in his element. Elliott was almost jealous at how carefree Brent looked as he rocked back on forth, nearly buzzing with energy. It was almost as if Brent wasn't upset about last night, which Elliott was amazed at. Elliott was even more amazed that Brent continued to be friendly to him.

Brent looked over and sent a smile to Elliott. He knew the pretty boy was worried and nervous, probably for more than just one reason. And while Brent was upset with Natasha and how she'd broken up with him for Elliott, Brent knew he couldn't stay mad. After all, it wasn't Elliott's fault.

The game didn't even last an hour, and coach was satisfied, for once. Elliott knew they would win without a doubt, but just seeing the score had brightened his day and it wasn't even noon.

Brent slung his arm around Elliott's shoulders. "Can you believe we've won? This is like the best day ever!"

Elliott knocked his head against Brent's accidentally, and let out a curse. "Yeah, I guess."