Chapter 20

Calla Stewart's POV

The conversation between Mr. King and I replayed in my head as I prepped the fancy single-serve coffee machine for us. I worked relatively smoothly around the kitchen, but my bottom lip continued to tremble slightly, and it seemed like I was sniffling constantly. I was wreck to put it simply - well, definitely on the inside - I was just barely holding it together on the outside. Doing something as mindless and normal as making coffee was helping a bit.

After the emotional agreement between the two of us, I had found myself completely unsure of what to do next. So I did what I do best: ran away to panic. Obviously, I didn't go far, and Mr. King had at least provided me with a smidgen of time away from him, and away from the atmosphere that brewed between the two of us. We were quite close and there was such a serious tone, I had ended up awkwardly removing my hands from his before I muttered the excuse of making coffee and scurried off to the kitchen.

As stupid as I felt, I knew that tonight's conversation with Mr. King had actually gone not too bad. Of course, I still wasn't completely confident in our agreement, and I couldn't pretend that our relationship did not feel super weird. Were bosses typically this involved in the lives of their employees? I didn't think so, but, maybe Mr. King had a different leadership style. Or maybe I was just so pitiful and needy that he felt like he had too.

I popped a coffee capsule into the machine and pressed the top closed before starting it up. On top of an overall feeling of yucky, I felt incredibly insecure and fragile. I was beyond confused about how I was supposed to treat my boss at this point. Here he was having an emotional conversation with me, his employee, at the apartment he had moved me into, which he picked me up from and dropped me off at after I worked for him. It was a little confusing and uncomfortable to say the least. He kind of had a monopoly on my life.

What I needed to do was look after myself, but my boss had swooped in and taken control of so many parts of my life. Sure, I was struggling, that was a given. I wasn't completely sure if letting Mr. King so close was a good idea.

I tried my best not to cringe at my actions and words so far tonight. I couldn't stop thinking at all. I was so far out of my comfort zone. It was hard for me to share with anybody, let alone with my boss, who I had had a fairly rocky and uncertain relationship with so far. In all honesty, this was the closest I had been to a person in years, let alone a man like... that. It felt especially sad to realize because the circumstances were a bit strained. It was hard not to be afraid of my boss, but our promises tonight at least made me feel like I could trust him a tiny bit. Even if he forced me to cope with all sorts of confusing thoughts. Regardless, it's not like I had much of a choice anyway.

The fancy machine was finished with the first cup before I new it. I quickly set the streaming mug aside before prepping for the second and brewing once again. I gathered spoons and all of the coffee fixings while the machine hummed. The atmosphere thickened, so I tried to busy myself while I felt my boss's presence enter the kitchen. He cleared his throat ever so slightly as he walked in, "Hi."

I paused my wiping of the counter top and peered at him, "... Hi..."

The coffee machine sputtered to a steamy stop.

I turned away from him, abondonimg my tidying, and hurried over to grab the freshly brewed cup of coffee. I felt Mr. King's eyes following me as he settled himself at the kitchen island silently. With my back turned to him, I squinted my eyes shut and sighed internally, preparing myself for the rest of this encounter. I turned back toward him, attempting to maintain a neutral expression, "Can I bring the coffee over?"

He looked at me and gave a smirky smile, his eyes followed my form, "Yes please, Calla."

I felt my stupid cheeks fill with colour and tried to duck my head down. It almost felt like I was back working at the diner as I served us both coffee. Somehow, I wasn't quite as scared to mess it up this time. That could also be due the fact that I had been forced to adjust to this man's intimidating presence, so maybe I had just gotten better at actually functioning around him. It was an added bonus that I didn't have to pour for him this time. Wouldn't want to mess that up.