"PE just had to exist."

Maya's POV

I'm sitting on my own in Physics, waiting for the first period to start. There are only a few students in the classroom, including Akira.

She's chatting to her cousin, Eva so I've nothing to do but stare at the white board and think.

My phone rings, causing some of the students to focus on me. I take it out from my backpack and awkwardly get up and leave.

I check the screen for the caller ID and it's my mom. A smile forms on my face; she always sneaks in a phone call whenever she can.

"Hi, mom."

"Sweetheart, how are you?" She sounds sparky. She sounds like mom.

"I'm well, mom. How are you?"

I'm leaning against a random locker near the class.

"I'm great, honey but I called because I didn't see you last night or this morning. I know you must be sad because Lilly's leaving." Her voice changes and she suddenly sounds sad.

"Well, yeah," I look down and my hair curtains my face. "I'm going to miss her."

"We all are and I know you'll be all lonely with her gone but don't you worry. Mommy has a surprise for you." She's back to sounding happy.

"Oh! What surprise?" A huge grin appears on my face.

"Now, now, May, it wouldn't be a surprise if I told you." She stops and speaks to someone in the background. "Sweetheart, I have to go. I love you."

"I love you too, mom."

She makes kissing sounds and says goodbye before hanging up.

"Excuse me, move!" A loud voice orders and I look up with fright.

His facial expression changes from irritation to surprise.

"Banks, what do you want?" Mason asks.

"Nothing," I look down and notice the hair tie around my wrist. "I was just answering a phone call, I'm sorry."

Before he can say anything, the bell rings and I walk away. I remove the blue hair tie from my wrist and tie my hair in a high ponytail.

Wait, what did Mason want there? Was he following me?

I turn around to look at him before entering the class and see him taking out books from the locker I was leaning against.

Of course! That's his locker, remember?

I mentally slap myself before walking into the class.

"God, I'll never get tired of seeing all that." Akira says, her line of vision following Mason as he makes his way to the back of the class.

"Akira!" I reprimand her, laughing.

She's crazy about him.

I don't really get why everyone is crazy over Mason. I mean he's cute and he's got a good physique but he's also rude and grumpy. He steals joy.

***

The fifth period of the day just had to be PE. No, scratch that. PE just had to exist.

I dread this period more than I dread family gatherings. PE has been dragging my grades for as long as I can remember.

"Banks! Keep going! One more lap or I'm failing you!" Coach Parker barks from across the gym.

I stand upright from my position of bending and resting my hands on my knees.