37 | caught in the middle

________________________

THE COFFEE WAS cold. Adele took a sip and pulled a face, wrinkling her nose in disgust at the tepid trickle down her throat. She pushed the mug away with a grimace and it toppled off the counter into the sink, the coffee splashing up the sides of the porcelain. The rim of the mug chipped when it met the metal plug hole, a ceramic shard skittering down the drain.

Ainslie crouched in front of the fire, carefully balancing a pan on the grate to heat up her hot chocolate after getting distracted by the phone call. Pouring it back into her mug without spilling a single drop, she turned around on her haunches with the cup cradled in her hands. The heat turned her cheeks pink, the steam wavering in the air when she sat down with a heavy thump and sloshed hot cocoa over the side.

"How will we know if he's really gone?" she asked. "What if it's a trap?"

"It might be," Adele said. She wouldn't put anything past Creighton anymore. "We need to be very careful."

"We're not going anywhere until we know he's gone," Caleb said.

"But how will we know? It's not like he's going to swing by and say oh, by the way, I'm heading to London for a few days so you'll have to be a threatening dick to yourselves for a while," Ainslie said with a scoff, scowling at the floor. She stretched out her feet, wiggling her toes in a pair of thick socks she had borrowed from Adele.

"We'll wait a while and then I'll go and check," Adele said. She hopped onto the counter to let Caleb enjoy the armchair for once without her draped over him.

"That's not safe," he said.

"I'll be careful," she said, "and that's the only way, anyway. I won't put myself at risk. I'll be safe. We need to know he's gone."

"Can't you just ring Jade and ask?" Ainslie asked.

"He took her phone, and you heard me tell him to stay away from her. Look, it's fine. I know how to be safe. I won't do anything stupid. I'll go over in an hour or two to check that he's gone."