Chapter 18: The Turn Over

"Get out," John Clemons rasped. Grandma looked in my way, but followed his orders. After she shut the door behind her, John pointed his gun at me. Slowly, I raised my arms, letting him know that I am unarmed.

"Tell me your story," I begged. "How did my grandfather ruined your life?" John took a deep breath then began his story: "I was raised in the streets in Chicago. People who looked at me tend to mind their own business."

"Your grandfather came to me," John continued slowly. "He took me in, made sure that I wouldn't end up in the streets, and he gave me a job as a football coach."

"I thought that is what real love is, until he started keeping secrets from me: Mrs. Jade, the girl that I fell in love with, was stolen away from that pig, stealing my money, he even turned the school board against me!"

"Why did you use Xavier Rodgers' name?" I asked. "It belonged to my father's name," John Clemons sighed. "A secret that your grandfather kept from me for a long time."

Since he is telling the truth, maybe he could tell me about Mrs. Jade. "How long have you been with Mrs. Jade?" I asked suddenly. John Clemons let out angry sigh, but told me that he was with Mrs. Jade for almost five years, planning his grandfather's death.

"You knew about her situation?" I asked. Clemons nodded. "She told me about it," he explained. "I-" A single bullet shot through the window and soared through Clemons' heart. I watched in horror as Clemons slithered on the ground and laid motionless.

Just then, Dad and the police barged into the house, carrying guns. As soon as he saw me, Dad lowered his weapon and hugged me tightly. "Are you alright?" he whispered. I nodded then squeezed him back.

"Did he hurt you?" he asked. I shook my head furiously while police officers were surveying the house. "Xavier's real name is John Clemons," I explained. "He and Mrs. Jade planned together to kill Grandpa and frame Wallace."

Dad patted me on the shoulder. "Good detective work, Velma Dinkley." I blushed in response. "Thank you, Dad." He smiled then looked at the corpse. "Since John Clemons is dead," he replied. "I have reasons to believe that Mrs. Jade is hiding."

"Somehow," I began. "Jade is going to pin everything on Gerald brothers, so I may need to talk to the father." Uncle Seth maneuvered around the cops then walked over to us. "Hey Cleo," he greeted. "After I took your grandmother to a safe place, I called your father and my old cop buddies."

I quickly embraced until Uncle Seth handed me a piece of paper. "Happy Birthday," he beamed. I gave him a deadpan look. "My birthday is in June-" I snorted. "Just open it." he interrupted.

Rolling my eyes, I opened a piece of paper and saw an address to a church. "It's where he works," Uncle Seth shrugged. "Don't ask." "You're the best," I squealed, hugging him again. Uncle Seth smiled as he stroked my hair. Dad rolled his eyes, but kissed my forehead.

As soon as the cops cleared, Dad advised Uncle Seth and me to be careful then left. As soon as he stared at the patch of blood on the floor then darted his eyes at me. "Cleo," he began. "What happened exactly?" "John Clemons is dead," I explained.

Uncle Seth disappeared and came back with a bucket of hot water and two sponges. He tossed the yellow sponge at me and applied soapy water to his. "Might as well clean the damage or else your grandmother will get another heart attack. I caught the sponge in midair then helped him cleaned the mess on the floor.

After we are finished, we dumped the sponges into the buckets and said goodnight to each other. But just when I was about to head upstairs, Uncle Seth stopped me. "How's your mother doing?" he asked. I did a casual shrug. "She's doing fine," I began. "But I think Grandpa's death is starting to take an affect on her."

"I'm sure your mom will be okay," Uncle Seth reassured. "She is just having a hard time getting over his death." As much as I wanted to ask Uncle Seth about his tragic childhood, I thought it would be best if I kept my mouth shut. He merely nodded at my quietness then disappeared into his guest bedroom.

I headed back upstairs into my room and went to bed. The next morning, the sun sprout out of the clouds, like a beautiful sunflower. I woke up from my slumber and quickly get prepared to go and talk to Gerald's father.

As soon as I brushed my teeth, I combed my hair, got rid of my pajamas, and put on a blue plaid t-shirt, black jeans, and of course, sneakers from out of my suitcase.

With the help of Paige's texts, I managed to finish all of my work and studies with flying colors. Also, my canvas is nearly done: I painted the background to look like Harlem Renaissance, the man turned out to be perfect, and his thought clouds were flawless. I just needed to add something to make it pop.

"Cleo," Grandma called downstairs. "Time to eat!" Immediately, I rushed down and helped her set the table. Three steaming hot bowls of oatmeal sat in front of blue velvet chairs. White napkins rested under the bowls while spoons and glasses of orange juice were placed besides them.

Uncle Seth came by with a clean face and gel slicked hair. He wore a black suit and tie. "Hey Cleo," he greeted, kissing my cheek. "Hey Mom." Grandma flashed him a heartwarming smile then kissed him on the forehead.

"Good morning, Seth." Grandma chuckled. As soon as we sat down, we ate our breakfast and gulped our orange juice. While scooping the mush onto my spoon, I snuck a glance at Grandma.

She wore a white bathrobe and pink bunny slippers. Her white blond hair is tied into a small bun. Strangely, Grandma looked unfazed from last night. After the John Clemons catastrophe was over, she returned home safely.

Mom and Dad called her numerous times, asking her if she is okay. Grandma responded calmly, telling them that she is perfectly fine and right now, she wants to go to bed.

After breakfast, I cleaned the dirty dishes and told them that I was going to church. "Of course," Uncle Seth shrugged. "Just make sure that you come home safely."

I snatched my knapsack, which was surprisingly lying under the table, kissed Grandma and Uncle Seth on the cheeks, and left the house.

Walking past Grandma's house and minding people's business, I followed the white sidewalk straight down and made a sharp turn. By now, the cars invaded the roads. The traces of leftover car smoke rushed under my nose.

I could easily smell the stench of gas fumes, but instead I ignored it and hustled forward until I saw an old red bricked church with stained glass windows, huge white stairs, and two big wooden doors.

Just then, an old man came out of the church wearing a grey suit and red tie. He wore a golden ring around his index finger and black glasses. He must be the pastor, I thought. But as soon as he turned around and saw me, his eyes were apprehensive. The pastor took careful steps back then walked away.