28. it's not your fault

I stood there in silence as the police drove away with Adam in the back seat

I stood there in silence as the police drove away with Adam in the back seat. But soon after the police wanted to bring Jace, Katie and I to the station to make statements.

Maybe Adam would finally get locked up?

My mind wasn't clear, and it didn't help that Bella kept asking me questions. Over and over again. One, two, three. Just like that Adam was free. Would that even happen again? No, definitely not.

"Scarlett please answer me."

"What do you want?" I snapped at her.

She took a step back. "What happened? Who is that?"

"Adam is my ex-boyfriend." I answered calmly.

"Your ex-boyfriend!" She yelled, confusion written all over her face. "What did he do to you?"

"Scarlett, that's Adam?" Ava asked in horror.

"Nothing." I mumbled at Bella and I nodded my head at Ava.

"No Scarlett stop!" Bella said turning me to face her, "Why did he call you Blair?"

"Because I was Blair!" I said turning to face everyone. "Guys I'm sorry I lied to you. But how could I tell you? That my name really isn't Scarlett." I said as tears rolled down my cheeks.

"Your name isn't Scarlett?" Leo asked.

"You guys don't understand." Jace answered for me.

"Yeah it's a long story." Ava added in running to give me a hug.

"You guys knew?" Cassie asked covering her mouth. "Why didn't you tell us?"

I sighed, "I couldn't tell you because I couldn't tell anyone. It has nothing to do with you. I only told Jace because of Maddie."

"Maddie our cousin?" Blake asked Jace.

"Yes," I nodded, "Maddie used to be my best friend. When I went to court she lied because Adam was blackmailing her. It was he against she. They let him go. I had to change my name and they way I looked."

Cassie gasped, "What Scarlett? You went to court for what?"

"Are you that stupid?" I snapped at Cassie again and I immediately felt bad. She took another a step back and shook her head. "Cass I'm sorry. . . I didn't mean it. . . Adam was very controlling. He said that if I ever tired to break up with him he would," I paused taking a deep breath, "kill me."

Everyone gasped, shocked looks on their faces. At least they weren't acting as bad as I thought they would. "Oh, Scarlett I'm so sorry." Bella said.

"Scarlett you know you could have told us. We would have helped you." Zoey also said.

"Thanks guys," I smiled, "but there's nothing you could've done."

"What should we call you?" Leo asked, "Blair or Scarlett?"

"Scarlett," I smiled, "Blair's in the past, I need to move on because that's the only way I can get through this."

"Thank you Scarlett." A quite voice said.

I turned around to see Katie in Jace's arms. I smiled and gave her a hug. "For what?"

She smiled softly and tugged a piece of her brown curly hair behind her ear. "For helping me, silly."

"You're welcome." I laughed.

"Scarlett you were blonde?" Cassie asked shocked. "We could have been twinning!"

Everyone laughed and I shook my head, "You're right Cassie, and thank you guys so much for understanding this."

"Wow. . ." Bella said her mouth hung open. "But seriously, you can tell us anything. We all love you."

"I'm sorry, but we have to bring you guys down for questioning." Said a tall officer.

"Scarlett?" Jace asked as we all walked to the big bunch of police officers. "Did you steal my diary?"

I turned to look at him and laughed, "Yes I'm really sorry. It's funny how it all started with the diary."

"Figured it was you." Jace said quietly.

-----
AN
Thank you guys so much for reading this story! It means so much to me!! ❤❤❤
SORRY FOR THE SHORT CHAPTER!! :( but it's well needed.