Chapter 21

I stood with my arms crossed in front of me, staring at my pack. Axel stood by my side, though slightly behind me, he was not yet an alpha.

Today, the new Alpha and Luna of Nightblood pack were coming to introduce themselves to us.

"Alpha Marcus and Luna Rose of Nightblood will be visiting today," I announced, "They will not be here long, and will only be here to speak to me, so you do not need to be worried."

There were a few murmurs throughout the gathered pack, but nobody seemed particularly worried about it, just curious. I smiled at that, it was nice to see the faith they had in themselves as a pack.

When they arrived, the entire pack was still gathered towards the back of the pack lands, it must seem isolated to them.

Myself and Axel made our way to the pack house, going in through the back door.

We waited by the door, and they took their time coming up, by which point I was getting impatient. Just when I sensed that they were right by the door, I opened it, much to their shock.

Immediately, both of their eyes snapped to mine, not even noticing Axel stood behind me. It made me smile, they were both obviously wary of me.

I studied Marcus first. He had dark brown eyes and Chestnut hair, he was putting up a clear front of confidence, I could sense from him that he was wary of me but for some reason he wasn't particularly fearful of me towards Rose.

I turned to look at her, she had dark red hair and a slender frame, she was short and seemed sweet, though I could sense an edge to her. There was something about her though... something I couldn't quite place my finger on.

But then I got it. The reason why Marcus wasn't particularly worried for her.

Her presence was strong, I was practically choking in it.

This girl was definitely more than meets the eye. Like me... only more concentrated?

Perhaps she had powers more focused than mine... a particular talent which she had mastered rather than my variety.

I turned away from her to face Marcus again, "Skylar." He smiled, reaching out to shake my hand.

I smiled back at him, acting just a little too friendly for an exchange between alphas. "Marcus." We didn't greet each other using titles, because we were on the same level.

I noticed Rose was staring at me intently, when I turned to face her, I sensed a slight fear and uncertainty.

I smiled a little, she seemed to have noticed there was something about me too, but not quite to the extent.

It was this however, which made me think that her powers would likely not outcompete my own, judging by her wariness, despite the trust Marcus seemed to hold  in her ability to protect herself.

"You must be Rose." I said, turning to her once again, my gaze flickered to her hand for the briefest moment, my acknowledgement of her caused her hand to warm slightly, almost a surge of energy, I assumed that like me, her control over her talents rested in her hands. "Nice to finally meet you both."

Admittedly I added a little sarcasm in my tone, and my gaze dropped back to hers, her arms tucked under themselves as though to aid her control.

I didn't bother to hide the slight shock I had at realising she had powers. She seemed a little taken aback at my reaction, I gave her a little smirk, reaching my hand out almost in warning, she took a very small step back and at the last moment I grabbed hold of the door, opening it wider for them both.

As I did it, their gazes locked on Axel behind me, "This is my mate, Axel." I told them.

Rose seemed more wary than she had before, seeming to sense my hidden threat.

Not that her mate noticed.

Axel gave them small smiles, but wasn't acting overly friendly, in fact he was acting rather cold towards them, he held me close to his side and I leaned against him, allowing him to relax slightly.

He was jealous, he didn't care that Marcus was literally mated, his mate here with him.

Axel reached out and shook both of their hands, and then I led them all into a large sitting room, myself and Axel sat down, and following a hesitation, so did they.

They sat very close together, revelling in their mates comfort.

Rose's eyes were glued to myself and Axel, I wondered what she was thinking, she seemed entranced by the both of us.

We spoke about forming an alliance, and once all of the details were sorted, we all stood up to see them out.

Axel was still very wary next to me, and I was hit with the idea to make him jealous.

I walked over to Marcus to once again shake his hand, but instead of shaking I pulled him close in a hug, lingering there for just a few more seconds than was appropriate, if it was appropriate at all. I ignored the fact that it felt so wrong to hug someone that wasn't Axel, it was strange compared to all of the men I had touched before I had recognised him as my mate.

I could tell that Rose was feeling uncomfortable, when I turned to her, ignoring Axel's irritated aura, I pulled her into an embrace and I felt her fear, and through the contact I held with her, I sent a sort of soothing feeling into her, feeling her relax beneath me, she  no longer seemed bothered.

But, as I moved back, Axel began a steady growl, which increased in a threatening way as I took both Marcus and Rose's hand and pulled them out of the door.

Axel was clearly getting stressed, and we stood together as we watched them leave through the woods, hearing the unmistakeable sound of shifting wolves.

Axel then turned to me, "What was that?" He demanded.

"What?" I asked, playing the innocent.

"You know what." He growled, "Don't do that, it isn't funny."

I laughed, "What? Shall I go ask him if he wants to stay overnight? I'll personally see to it that he gets the best room... maybe that's mine?"

He growled then and pushed me back a little, to which I growled at him for.

His eyes were a dark black, and I noticed him trying to approach me again, to which I growled more threateningly, following this my anger got a little out of control and I heard the clear sound of a tree snapping down the middle.

I groaned at that, and with my hand, I lifted up the two pieces of tree and slammed them back together, fixing it.

I might have imagined it, but I thought I heard the sound of a gasp in the woods.

I sensed Axel had calmed a little, but not much. He would have to get over himself. We had a pack to visit tomorrow, and knowing the alpha, Axel would be getting mighty annoyed.

___________________

So long since an update! I know, sorry! I was finishing my other book 'Ember' (it is complete now) and I have several prologues/ first chapters up for other books which you can go read while you wait for this one to update: 'Phoenix' (the spin-off to this book and Ember), 'Vision' and 'The Billionaire'

Please vote/comment if you liked it!

If you want to read this chapter from Rose's POV it is Chapter 19 of 'Ember'