F O U R T Y - S I X

Nix 

I flinched as another muffled sob wracked Nova's small body, the hands holding the frame trembling as she continued to look down at the beaming giant posing with an ultrasound photo.

I've only met Wolfe Lupine once in my life, a very brief exchange during a meeting I attended with my Dad when I was six and a half. 

It was the only meeting where Alpha Lupine personally requested that all the heirs convene together, without a moments notice in order to discuss something important. 

That something important was an announcement of this beautiful creature in front of me.

I can recall that day vividly, even if I was a little on the young side, because my father had been particularly nasty that morning after he got off of the phone from the Lupine Heir. 

"Who does he think he is?" Tÿr snarled, snapping his phone in two as he ranted and raved at the head of our dining room table "That entitled fuck couldn't even call me himself. Had to have his lapdog call me instead."

The servants cowered and trembled at his tone, cowering and scrambling out of his way. 

My mother, ever the saint, shot them a sorrowful look as she gently cradled her growing stomach. 

"Whatever he must have to discuss with you all must be important" she said softly, her blonde curls piled perfectly on top of her head "And it must be taking up all of his time if he didn't call you personally. You know Wolfe likes to make his calls to his fellow heirs personally." 

 "Of course you come to his defense" Tÿr sneered at my mom "Apparently things never change." 

Mom glance at me sitting quietly in my seat, and with a strain smile sent my way, she asked me to go play with my nanny.

And I did...only after listening to their entire conversation. 

"I might have been his friend first Tÿr" she said, frustration coloring her tone "But I married you. You're my husband Tÿr and I...love you."

A scoff so loud permeated the air, letting goosebumps erupt on my arms at the cruel sound. 

"You loved what I could offer you." 

The scraping of a chair had my body tense. 

"Let us not forget who took whose name in this marriage" My mother hissed, surprising me since this was the first time I've ever heard her stand up for herself "We both know that my name offers a lot more than yours ever could. I am the true Fenrir Heir that graciously stepped aside to relinquished my title onto you. I'm the one who convinced the Elders of my Pack as well as the other Heirs, that the son of my father's Beta, the man I fell in love with, would be a much better Heir and Alpha than I ever would be"