viii. just my luck

❝ You with the dark curls, you with the watercolour eyes ❞

present day
Amaya

Oh. Fuck.

Those were my only words as the new student walked in. I had never wished for the world to swallow me whole as much as I did in that moment, because out of all the people that could walk into the classroom, it had to be Rigel Wilde. He froze for a second in the doorway when his eyes met mine, a baffled expression evident on his face. My eyes widened as he walked in, his dark curls swaying with each step. All the girls in the room were completely entranced by the boy as he came to take a seat beside me. I kept my eyes forward as he sat down, swinging his bag onto the desk and taking out his belongings.

My hands began to shake as the seconds dragged on. Was he going to say anything to me? He probably didn't even realise it was me. but if so, why was I so worried about the fact that the boy was sitting mere inches away from me. After an inner date with myself, I took a deep breath and finally spoke, "What are you doing here, Rigel?" My words came out in a hushed tone, but the sound of annoyance and confusion, and to be quite frank also curiosity, was quite evident.

He turned to look at me, his eyes darting across my face, as if to make sure he was hallucinating. Once he had come to the conclusion that I was indeed quite real, he spoke up, "I could ask you the same question, luna."

That fucking nickname.

I rolled my eyes at the use of the nickname, when deep down I found it cute and quite endearing, but I wasn't going to give Rigel the satisfaction of knowing that. "That still doesn't answer my question, why are you here?" The boy seemed to laugh at how persistent I was, turning to look at the front of the class as to not draw more attention to either of us.

"I'm on an adoption trial, a couple came to adopt me the same day you were. Quite a coincidence that we're in the same school." The smirk that grew across his face was without doubt, infuriating. Rigel was not what I needed on my first day of school, especially if I was trying to make a good first impression. My eyes flickered to look at his face for a few seconds, and I noticed a bruise forming on his cheekbone, along with a light gash.

He noticed me looking, and turned back to look at our teacher, "Got into a fight already?" I questioned as he looked at me firmly. "It was nothing, now focus on the class, Amaya." Rigel spoke those last words in a lower tone, making my spine tingle and my skin warm. I couldn't remember that last time he had said my name, but it felt almost heavenly to hear it come from his lips. I sounded like an aboliste madman, so internally to0ld myself to shut up and focus on the class at hand. I would deal with Rigel later.

My morning classes had gone by swiftly, apart from the fact that Rigel coincidentally seemed to be in all of them. When lunch rolled around, I found myself exiting the school to grab lunch at the nearest coffee shop, and not to my surprise, I heard a certain dark haired boys footsteps approaching me.

"What do you want, Rigel?" I turned around to be met with the boys chest, and I took a step back at the proximity of our bodies. Oh damn. I mentally hoped that my flushed cheeks weren't that visible, or else he would never let me live it down, even though I knew he wasn't going to leave me alone for the entirety of his trial. But for some reason the thought of not being alone, even if it was with Rigel, seemed to comfort my nervous mind.

The boy tilted his head down to look at me as he spoke, "Mind if I get lunch with you?" Not a hint of mockery was in his tone, almost as if he was being nice. I looked at his wide eyed for a few seconds, "You're actually speaking to me nicely? What happened to my Rigel, I want him back please." Before I could register what I had said, the words had already left my mouth, and the boy in front of me raised a bow at my choice of words.

"My Rigel, missed me that much huh?" The boy smirked as I began to walk away from him. "Oh fuck off, you know what I mean." I tried to cover up the fact that I had called him mine, which I most certainly didn't mean to, and he wasn't mine. Rigel Wilde had always treated me poorly at Grave, and one nicely worded question was not going to make me simply forget everything.

We walked to the shop, bought our food, and make our way to a park bench, all in silence. I didn't know what to say to him. I had contemplated punching him in the face for showing up in my life again what I truly thought I would never have to see him again, but I wasn't that person. "So you've finally been adopted, do you think it'll last?" His question came as a surprise to me. Did he think I was going to end up back at Grave?

"What do you mean, 'do you think it'll last'? I don't intend on going back to Grave. Plus, the couple are really nice." I didn't dare look at him, or I fear I might never be able to look away again.

"Amaya, do you really think they'll adopt you? They're going to see the broken little girl you are you'll right back at the orphanage. No one wants a damaged toy, even if it's pretty." Rigel's words like a punch to my gut. How could he say that to me? I knew he never liked me but gosh, that was going a bit far.

I stood up from where I was seated, grabbing my bag as to not send my fist straight into his jaw. "I don't know why I thought that you had changed, but I guess I was wrong. You're still the arrogant little boy I met all those years ago. Fuck you, Rigel." And with that I made my way back to the school, trying tot ignore my heart beating loudly in my chest.