prologue

~

The real meaning of the Tearsmith was a person who could make you cry, but also feel a thousand emotions. To whom you gave the power to not only have your heart but also the ability to break it, confident that they wouldn't.

The children at the orphanage were told the story of the Tearsmith, that he would come and get you if you cried. You couldn't lie the Tearsmith. Youth had been moulded into emotionless creatures who were to follow the rules of order, respect and obedience. Anyone who misbehaved, stepped out of line, was punished. Margaret knew the dreams the children clung to in order to endure life at the orphanage, subjecting them to physical and mental torture utilising their dreams and fears as the main weapon.

Amaya Rossi was seven when her parents died in a house fire, having saved her before going back for her brother, Milo. But they never came back out. Ever since that day, ten years ago, the images of the fire, the destruction, the falling beams, her parents screams; were permanently engraved in her mind.

If she closed her eyes, she could see the flames rising, burning behind her eyelids with such intensity, that it almost felt like it was all happening again. Her parents screams would ring through her ears, making it seem like she was standing in front of her childhood home all over again. And that was what Margaret used to tortured her.

Down in one of the dark cellars, she would be cuffed to a bed, the leather cuffs digging into her skin, soon to leave marks. A can of gasoline was poured in a circle around the bed, before being lit on fire, leaving Amaya trapped inside the flames. But amongst her fear, a voice came to her, reassuring her, comforting her. The young girl was never able to make out who it was, girl or boy, but if she closed her eyes, she would imagine it was her mother, or father, or her brother Milo.

To add to the punishments that she suffered, her nightmares were on loop, never ending. Amaya spent countless nights wide awake, not wanting to close her eyes in fear that the flares would burn her alive. But even that felt better than being at Grave. Just the thought of leaving the orphanage, dead or alive, was the only thing that kept what little hope she had alive. The outside world, that even thought was cruel and frightening, was far better than the orphanage.

Since the moment she walked in through the old iron gates, she never saw past them again. Amaya watched as the other children were adopted, new ones arriving and leaving in the blink of an eye. Days became weeks. Weeks became months. Months became years. And still, to no avail, she remained locked away in the dark cellars without sky, looking at the peeling wallpaper.

Ever child that ever came and left the orphanage called it Grave, because it was tomb for their souls. Any ounce of dreams, happiness and hope, was crushed. She destroyed every dream that any child could have, she extinguished any trance of love, except for the love she gave Rigel Wilde.

Rigel was a gifted child who always garnered interest from many people who visited Sunnycreek. Living his whole life under the supervision of a malevolent mother-like figure, Rigel was cherished over the other children of the orphanage and Margaret alienated him from the others. He watched as the other kids were tortured, while he played piano, hearing the children's cry echoing down the hallways.

The boy was named by Margaret, since he had never met his parents. Named after the blue supergiant star in the constellation of Orion, Rigel was the star child at Sunnycreek; never subjected to any harm. But he was broken from very early in life, watching the girl he secretly loved being tortured day after day. Rigel had fallen in love with Amaya from the moment he saw her, all those years ago. But in the young boys mind, he was the monster in the girls story, that her biggest threat was himself. So he made it his mission to make Amaya hate him, because he couldn't stand the idea of his troubled soul hurting her. She wanted a family, but he wanted her.

She was his everything, and he was the wolf.

mari speaking !

hey everyone, i hope you're liking this so far. this is just a small introduction of amaya and rigel, which is very similar to nica and rigel in the film

please note that this book is in an alternative universe, so i won't be making it the same story as the tearsmith. this book has a different story line, and a different setting than the movie, the only part that will stay relatively the same is when they were at the orphanage, which will appear as flashbacks every once in a while.

i will be using small bits of nica and rigel's "wolf in the fairytale" dynamic from the movie, to which all right go to the author Erin Doom, and not myself. all the rest of the plot of this book belongs to me; plagiarism will not be tolerated.