29

Roman

I sit in this county jail cell feeling more pathetic than I ever have in my entire life. Remembering the look on Brooke's face when the officer took me away is not something I'll ever forget. Knowing that I made her feel that way makes it even worse.

I rub my hand over my eyes, remembering the moment I got myself into this.

Two Years Ago...

"Dude where are you going?" Kyle asks me, his body swaying as he walks.

I ignore him. Last thing I need tonight is for Kyle to puke all over my shoes.

I just moved to school. College was supposed to be my escape from the shitty world I lived in. I made it out, only to end up in another world. Full of underaged drunk kids and a father who happens to be a professor here.

I was dumb enough to think this frat party would help. I don't tend to get drunk in my free time. I've seen first hand what it could do. Sure, the kids here can have their fun. But for me? It's not fun.

I try and make my way through the mass of people, hoping to find a door somewhere. I sigh in relief when I find the front door, racing out into the front lawn as fast as I can.

I shake my head after looking back at the booming party house and decide to walk down the street. It's late Friday night and classes started this last Monday. Kyle was an unfortunate meeting that actually led me here tonight, having invited me this morning in our Econ class.

I walk and look down at my worn out chucks. I remember when I bought these. It seems like a lifetime ago after getting my first job and finally able to buy something for myself. Such is life I guess.

I walk for about a mile and stop outside an old looking gym. The name "KNOX S VILLAGE" is plastered on the building. My curiosity peeks and I'm not sure why I care.

The door is locked when I try to grab it so I decide it's not worth it. I begin to walk away when the door opens.

I turn around and see a middle aged man staring at me. He's muscular and looks like he could kill me with his gaze.

"Sorry to bother you," Is all I say before turning around.

I begin to walk away but he stops me. "You lookin' for some extra cash kid?"

That peaks my interest and I turn around. "And what if I was?"

He looks me up and down, seeming to examining my hands and arms the most. Most of which have been covered in tattoos ever since I turned 18 a few months ago.

"Come here tomorrow night and you'll find out," Is all he says and he turns away, disappearing back into the building.

I returned the next night and was trained. Told I would get money enough to pay off college expenses and build a life for myself. Little did I know, I'd be doing fights weekly and put my life more at risk.

Drew was one of the only reasons I braved it. He wasn't like the rest. He's wanted to leave before I showed up.

For awhile it was the escape I was looking for. A way to push out the anger and frustration toward my life. But eventually I was sick of it. Sick of the illegal and dangerous circumstances I was in. I'd learned a long time ago that people on the wrong side of the tracks meant evil consequences. My mother was proof of that. And I ended up on the wrong side anyways.

Once I laid eyes on Brooke, I saw something I hadn't in awhile. Kindness. Peace. Just by looking into her eyes after saving her from that douchebag Bryson, I knew that her and I came from opposite pasts. Opposite lives that brought us to this moment. Her from her nice family and me from a fighting ring.