2. The Captain's Address

All eyes fell on the man in the doorway. At least, Leon assumed that, since the newcomer stood in front of him, and in order to see where everyone else's eyes were looking, he would have to look away. It was still a safe assumption.

After all, this was the first time any of them got a look at their captain.

The captain stared ahead, looking directly at no one but seeming to have everyone in his sights. Built like a stone pillar, he might not have been the tallest in the room, but the rookie found him to be the most imposing, except for maybe that guy on the other side of the line-up, who was much taller and had a mean look about him.

The stony man stepped forward with all the poise expected of an experienced captain, though he didn't look much older than early twenties.

"Attention. Hand, salute." Leon's hand shot up to salute at the captain's command. He peered over to his right to make sure he did the right thing. Everyone else's hands were in the same position, even the tall guy, whose salute was much slower than the others. The captain glanced over in his direction, but didn't say anything.

A fluorescent yellow cape billowed behind him as he finally stepped into the room. Leon wasn't even aware that captains could wear capes. It looked so majestic. He wanted one of his own, but he knew the captain must've earned it through discipline.

Speaking of majestic, the impossibly cool lieutenant sidestepped from behind him. Leon couldn't help smiling his way, and to his surprise, Emil winked back. It made him feel special.

The captain also had his eye on Emil, but he wasn't smiling.

"Lieutenant." he addressed him, almost questioningly.

"Yeah br–Yeah Captain?"

After the captain glanced back and forth between him and the others, he understood and immediately stood at attention, saluting.

"Sorry." he whispered.

"Apologies don't protect you from rule violations." The captain turned his head toward his crew. "This, of course, goes for all of you as well. As star rangers, I expect you to know the rules," he turned toward the tall guy, "as well as the ramifications for breaking them. At ease."

Leon, as well as the others, relaxed his posture at the captain's command. He couldn't remember if this was the command where he could speak or not, but no one else did, so he kept quiet.

"Now we may proceed." The captain cleared his throat. "You're now aboard the Celestion-5, the fifth and arguably most crucial ship in the Celestion project. Our mission is bigger than us, bigger than anything the Interstellar Forces has done thus far."

He took a moment to pause.

"We are going to Neptune."

Though he was told the mission objective months in advance, Leon still gasped, struggling to keep a smile off his face. He couldn't believe this was finally happening to him.