▪Chapter VIII▪

I sat in the quiet and lonely school library with Hailee, running over our chemistry notes. Hailee being overly enthusiastic in learning the periodic table, and me sitting quietly with an opened book infront of me and my mind wandering to multiple places.

"Earth to Jade."

I stared at a book on the book shelf, completely ignoring the world around me.

"Jade!"

My mind started registering what was going on around when Hailee called again for the third time.

"Jadelyn!"

I shot my head to the side and gave her a weary look. I was tired and my brain capacity had reached its max level. I couldn't think straight.

"What?" I answered back.

"I have never seen you this worn out."

"Well I've never had a reason to be this worn out." I simply replied.

"I'm sorry." Her tone held a tinge of pity, and I could see her eyebrows slowly come together. I don't like it when people take pity for me.

"It's not your fault. You have kept me together for years. I owe you." I said.

"You don't owe me anything. If it wasn't for you, I would have probably committed suicide after having been bullied so many times."

"Those people were low lives." I played with my pencil , avoiding her gaze.

"Are you going to Hexagon later?" She asked in an annoyed tone clearly hoping I would say no.

"Not today. I need a break from all the father drama."

I was still angry. I've never been the best at letting things go, especially if my dad was concerned in any way. He had no right to step foot in my house again, after so long. He lost those rights the moment he left us.

"Great, so I'll have time to cheer you up." she said all smiles and happy, me on the other hand, anything but.

The bell rang, echoing through the school and the voices of students talking to their peers bounced off the walls. Lockers slamming and footsteps heading to class.

"So I'll see you at lunch time?" Hailee squeezed me and I smiled at her.

"Sure no worries."

I entered class, with my solemn expression and took my place quietly. From the corner of my eye I could see Liam looking at me from the front row but I ignored him.

I opened my notebook and took out my pen and started doodling. It's what I usually do in difficult times like this. Doodling and hacking are two things that keep my mind at ease.

"Alright class, let's start...."

The sound of enormous textbooks slamming on tables and bags unzipping for students to take their writing materials filled the air as I ignored everything and mentally floated into out of space.

《--->•<---》

I couldn't see Hailee in the cafeteria so I took a seat at our usual table not even bothering to grab something to eat.

It was mere seconds before I heard someone drop their bag on my table and took a seat next to me.

"You're quiet." He said.

"Is it a crime?"

"When it's you, yes," he replied.

I shrugged and he persisted.