Chapter 2

Louis Ingard is an ex-archaeologist who took up this job to be close to his findings outside from the blazing heat of the on-site investigations at least this is what he tells patrons who ask him about his job transfer but I know better; having befriended me on the first day of his job thanks to his predecessor who told him about me, he's told me the actual reason why he quit his previous job and even I can't blame him for it.

At the museum, I am known as 'The woman who visits the museum every day' by the employees at least not to my face since all of them know me by name as I do them. Having been a regular here for so many years, the employees took it upon themselves to get to know me, which almost always resulted in me giving vague answers.

Sitting across from Louis in the canteen, a part of our daily routine, I observe silently as he plays with his ramen noodles, not eating. Just as I'm about to comment on his unusual behaviour, he speaks up.

"Kamilah," He begins, his voice shaky as he speaks, his pretty steel eyes are adverted from mine as he watches his chopsticks swirl around his noodles. "An ex-colleague of mine, Peter Jefferson, is coming to the museum, he'll be coming in today sometime after lunch and I'd advise you to keep your guard around him."

As a former archaeologist, Louis inevitably knew many people in the field, including Peter Jefferson, another renowned archaeologist who recently returned to the US with artefacts for the museum. According to a newspaper report, Jefferson also discovered a pyramid, though it was only briefly mentioned. 

With dark-rooted blond hair, deep blue eyes, slightly tanned skin and well-toned muscles, the man is the true definition of the all-American playboy which is probably one of the reasons Louis is warning me about his visit today.

"Okay," I reply softly, stabbing a forkful of lettuce, looking up from my plate a smile graces my lips when I see an amused expression on his face. "What?"

"Nothing..." He chuckles, picking a slice of lettuce off my plate. "Aren't you going to ask me? Why I'm telling you to be on alert while he's around this week?"

Smiling widely, I respond cheerfully, "Nope! It's your business, nothing to do with me."

Laughing aloud, Louis nods understandingly, knowing I like prying into the business of others as much as I like others' prying into my business, "Are you sure you don't want to become a caretaker for the Egypt exhibit? I could do with an employee like you. You know someone who minds their own business, doesn't like to pry into other's affairs, helps the newbies with their work..."

Shaking my head in declination, I chuckle, "You ask me that every month Louis and I never fail to turn you down. I think three years into your job, you should have already concluded that I will not now or ever take up that job offer."

Laughing at my light admonishment, we continue to eat our lunch with a comfortable silence between us. Promising to pick me up after work, Louis is off to do his job again whilst I am allowed to go back to my bench.

Later in the day, roughly three hours before the museum's closing time, I catch sight of Louis once more, this time accompanied by a man in a crisp white dress shirt and tailored suit pants. Louis dashes about the museum, the other man trailing behind him in what could only be described as a comical attempt at discretion.

As closing time draws near, Louis practically seizes me by the bicep, ushering me out of the museum with an urgency that suggests imminent danger. Glancing back, I spy the persistent figure of the man still in pursuit, his determination evident in every hurried step.

The following day brings a sense of déjà vu as I observe the man, now identified as Peter Jefferson, shadowing Louis's every move in the museum. Despite Louis's attempts to evade him, Jefferson proves unrelenting, persistently trailing Louis even during his breaks and off-hours. I can't help but find amusement in Jefferson's unwavering pursuit, his dogged determination evident in his pursuit of his goal; whatever it may be.