Chapter Thirty Six

It is CRAZY seeing all the love that this story is getting!! Keep the votes and comments coming :)
************************

I woke up to the sound of incessant knocking coming from the other side of my bedroom door. As I slowly drifted between sleep and consciousness, I realized that my mother was knocking on my door, telling me to get up. Wait, did she just call me Carter?

My eyes opened abruptly to the sight of the bare skin of Carter's shoulder and it took me a moment to remember that I had fallen asleep at his house last night. I try to sit up and gather myself when I also realize we have school, but Carter swings his arm over my waist and burrows his face into my neck.

"Carter," I whisper in alarm as I try to squeeze out of his tight grip. "Wake up. Your mom is at your door!"

He groaned and murmured something incoherent against my neck, and my body stood at attention from the feeling of his breath and lips moving against my skin. But still, there were more important things to deal with than how Carter made my body react as if it were on fire.

"Carter!" I whisper, louder this time, and push his arm.

Finally he lifts his head, his groggy eyed gaze meeting mine in confusion. Then a lazy smile meets his lips. "Mina," He grounds out, his voice scratchy and husky from sleep. "I missed waking up like this. But I'm still tired, so go back to sleep, babe."

With that, he dropped his head back into the crook of my neck. Despite the fact his mom was still knocking on his bedroom door and I had to somehow get out of here without her noticing, I still smiled. Carter was too cute not to smile.

"Carter, are you awake in there?" I hear the doorknob jiggle and practically jump out of my skin, but she never enters his room. "I told you not to lock your door when you go to sleep!"

Finally, Carter seems to come to, and he lifts himself up by his arms to lean over me. "I'm awake!"

"Finally," She mutters on the other side of the door. "I have to go to work, but I left breakfast downstairs. Hurry up and get ready so you're not late."

"She treats me like I'm twelve," Carter mumbles to me.

"Because you act twelve," I fire back with a small smirk, but it lessens considerably as the next words tumble out of my mouth without my permission. "Besides, you should be grateful that you have a mom that cares so much about you."

Carter's fake frown turns into a real frown at my words, but he only lets the silence pass between us for a beat before he gives me a hopeful smile. "Come on," He murmurs and finally sits up. "I'll share my eggs with you."

I was grateful that he didn't question my sentiment or push me to talk about it. I didn't want to talk about it. I just wanted to forget, for now at least.

We got out of bed and Carter found a spare toothbrush in the cabinet. I took it out of the box and brushed my teeth beside him- something that felt so weird because it also felt so natural- and, when he left to change out of his pajamas, I grabbed a t-shirt and jeans out of my backpack.

After I changed, I surveyed what I had managed to grab in the minutes I spent packing a bag. Unfortunately, I knew it was inevitable that I would have to go home to grab more provisions. I had only brought two changes of clothes and four pairs of underwear.

But once again, I decided not to think about it, and I went back into Carter's room to find it empty. I traveled downstairs carefully despite the fact that his mom had already left, and found Carter grabbing a glass of water from the fridge. When he saw me come into the room, he looked up and smiled.