Chapter 8: Honesty is still the best policy

Sophia wasted no time to see Bailey. The sound in Bailey's voice over the phone a few days ago broke Sophia's heart, and her words never left Sophia's mind. They also made Sophia feel tremendous sympathy for her. And even though Sophia had never been in this kind of circumstance before, and even if Bailey never reached out to her anymore, Sophia knew it was the right thing to do to see her. Someone was in trouble, and Sophia felt it was her duty to help. Is that not what we are here for?

Where Sophia met Bailey was at a quiet park. And as soon as Sophia met up with her and said hello, Bailey started crying uncontrollably. Sophia immediately put her arms around her, consoling her as she let everything she needed out. For minutes, Bailey wept and wept and wouldn't stop, which caused Sophia to become even more worried, for she understood now there was a lot more to this situation that she didn't know about. Sophia just let her cry, though. Finally, after Bailey calmed down, Sophia handed her a tissue, and Bailey managed to say, "Thank you," without breaking her voice.

"Now," Sophia began. "Will you tell me why you are so upset? Does your boyfriend Ryan know about this? Is he the father?"

"That's why I'm so upset," Bailey replied with a sniffle. "I'm sure he isn't."

"Oh," Sophia said, sounding a little shocked. "So, as I understand it, you're not just upset about your current situation, but you're upset about being unfaithful to Ryan?" Bailey nodded. There was no lie in Bailey's eyes that Sophia could see. "So," Sophia continued, "You have definitely been with another guy, then?" Bailey nodded again. Sophia had to pause and think for a second. First, she wasn't sure how to go about this, but she also didn't want to make this poor girl feel guilty about what she did, for what she had done had already been done, and there was no going back. "Have you told Ryan you've cheated on him?" she asked cautiously.

Bailey shook her head. "No," she said. "And I don't think I could."

All that Sophia wanted to do at that moment was say something sarcastic, but she didn't. She calmly said, "Bailey, listen to me. I know it'll be hard, but you have no other choice. You have to tell him. Not only does he deserve to know, but it shows responsibility on your part. And if you two truly care and love each other, things will be okay."

Surprisingly, Bailey didn't take Sophia's words wrongly and gave her a confident nod. "You're right," she said.

"And what about your parents? Do they know?" Sophia asked her.

"Well, I only have a father," Bailey answered her. "And no, I haven't told him. I wanted to speak with Ryan about it first, then go about telling my father. But I needed someone's advice before I did so. And you were the person who came to mind. I somehow felt that you'd understand and be willing to help me. You're a kind spirit."

Sophia felt a warmth spread through her as Bailey said those words. "Thank you, Bay," she said with a smile. Then, shifting the conversation back to Bailey, she continued, "Now, may I ask you the most important question?" Bailey nodded. "Have you ended this, whatever it is, with this other guy?"

"Yes," Bailey replied. However, she quickly became defensive, adding, "But I want you to know that I didn't anticipate things to turn out the way they did. But they did. I was a Galah."

"There's no need to bash yourself about it," Sophia told her. "What you did is done, and you can't change any of it. But what you can do now is look at your future ahead with confidence. If Ryan leaves you, know you're still not alone. You have your father. And I know he will help and be there for you. And as for me. I will do what I can. You have my word."

Right then, Bailey's eyes welled up with tears again. But this time, it wasn't tears of sadness. But tears of overwhelming joy and gratitude. Sophia had shown her so much love. "Thank you, girlfriend," Bailey cheerfully replied. She then let out a sigh. "I guess I still have a lot to think about, don't I?"

A simple life: Book 4On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara