Chapter 3: Attitude is everything

Saturday had finally arrived, which, for many reasons, was a relief for the four friends. You see, it was usually the day they would spend time together doing whatever. They would relax, unwind, share their favorite topics, or sometimes vent their frustrations. However, this Saturday was different. Sophia had the church fundraiser to attend, Joshua had streetball practice with his buddies, and Asa had to work. Alexander on the other hand, had a free weekend with no work to do and no family plans.

After thinking long and hard all morning about how to spend his time wisely, Alexander decided to go and help Sophia with the fundraiser. He also wanted to take the opportunity to talk to her and apologize for all the arguments they had had recently. And in the way Alexander had always done things, he wanted to surprise her with his unexpected appearance. "Hey, Dad," Alexander said after getting up from the kitchen table after breakfast. "May I go with Sophia to her church tomorrow?"

Alexander's father looked at his son after sipping his coffee, then at his wife, who gave him a slight nod and a wink from across the table. With a soft chuckle and after a moment of contemplation, Jack nodded and replied, "Of course you can, son."

"Thanks, Dad," Alexander said, heading to the front door.

"Where are you headed in such a hurry?" his father asked him.

"Oh, I'm going to the fundraiser her church is holding today," Alexander replied. "To help if she needs it."

"What time is this fundraiser?" Jack asked, turning on his chair.

"I believe they're setting up right now, so I better go," Alexander replied, checking his watch. "I want to lend a hand as much as possible."

"Very well," his father replied. "Have a good time, son."

"I will," Alexander told him. With a determined yet cheerful countenance, Alexander grabbed his coat and headed out the door.

As he pulled into the church parking lot and stepped out of his car, Alexander noticed some girls by the building waving and smiling at him. He didn't wave or smile in return, but after he locked his car and walked over to the front entrance where the girls were, he said, "Hi there, ladies!" in a friendly manner. All the girls giggled. "Is this the entrance for the fundraiser?" he asked them.

The girls giggled again, but one handed him a piece of paper, saying, "I haven't seen you here before. You new?"

Alexander looked briefly at the paper the girl handed him, then answered, "I actually don't go to this church. I'm here to see someone. And to lend a hand if needed, of course."

"Well, we could always use a strong man like you around here," one of the girls said, winking at him.

He chuckled and replied, "Well, I'm happy to be here and to help if I can." An awkward silence soon faded into the atmosphere, with the girls just staring at him and saying nothing. "Um, so," he said with a slight cough. "Do you girls know where Sophia is?"

The girls exchanged glances before one of them spoke up: "Yeah, she's over by the refreshment table. Do you need any of us to show you where that is?"

"Oh, no, no," he replied. "I'll find it. Thank you, though."

As Alexander headed towards the refreshment table, he overheard one of the girls saying, "Just give us a holler if you need anything!" Alexander turned around, smiled at her, and then gave her a small wave of acknowledgment. But once he faced the opposite direction, he sighed. "Man," he thought. "Girls can be so annoying." When he finally found the table, he caught Sophia's smiling face, and his heart skipped a beat, the annoyance of the other girls vanishing from his countenance. "Stop it, Alexander," he told himself. "Stay focused."