Chapter 5 - A new start

Uravath lifted his face to greet the morning sun, feeling it as the sea breeze caressed his curls, lifting them up in welcome. He smiled and shook his head as he tied up the last knot and put down the nets he was mending. It was a calming work, the repetitive and mindful nature of the work helping clear his mind, keeping it free from the worries that plagued him. The fishermen never trusted him with much, but they let him do this task and a few others on occasion in exchange for the smallest of their catch.
He looked down contently at the pile, and did not notice as someone approached him from behind.
"I did not realise you were now a fisher brat," a familiar mocking voice came from behind him. Uravath braced himself as he turned around, holding onto the most jubilant smile he could ever manage, knowing how much it would annoy his tormentor.
"Ballim Sai, I didn't know your father let you come down here." Ballim's eyes glinted in annoyance as he looked down at Uravath where he was sitting cross legged amid the nets.
"I didn't know even the fisherman would let half breed Tinakarun free with their things. But then again, where else would they find cheap labour?"
Uravath smiled, genuinely amused. It was true enough that it did not offend, though he supposed he would have felt like crying with frustration.
"Cheap labour does need to come from somewhere," he acceded.
It took some time before Ballim understood the insinuation. His face reddened with anger. "My grandfather did not need to take in your traitorous family when you were homeless. You need not pretend that you deserve any more from us." He spat.
"Indeed, I do not," Uravath said, calmly, his mind drifting to the strange conversation he dreamt the previous night.
Uravath was caught by surprise when the older boy lifted him by the collar of his shirt and was pushed backwards against the ropes. Uravath let out a cry of dismay as the ropes slid down across the pier into the water. "I hope your day burns," Ballim said, before turning and leaving.
Uravath had to dive into the water to recover the net, and had to untangle the net before he could take it to the fisherman. Ja was not very happy with him; he could see from the way that he was eyeing the wet net what he had thought had happened and Uravath sighed inwardly at this unexpected consequence. He was decidedly less friendly with him when he gave him his usual payment to take home.
It was not a very auspicious start to the day, but Uravath was puzzled over the incident as he returned to the Harbour after going back home to change and keep the fish in the kitchen. Ballim Hiffaliyan was several years older than him, and had always begrudged the companionship Uravath had shared with his late grandfather. He had shared his father's temperament and prejudices, and the old man did not hide his disapproval. When he passed away, Ballim had been sullen that Uravath and his mother were allowed to stay in the small house attached, but that did not explain what he had seen in Ballim's eye during the confrontation.
Uravath went over the expressions in his mind until he realised what had struck him as odd. There appeared to be a determination in his actions, and something of a fear. It was a deliberate, planned incident, but he could not deduce why. He shook his head as he went along, almost missing the new captain when he hailed him.
Captain Alkaois greeted him pleasantly and asked to walk with him. "Do you have any work waiting for you this morning?"
Uravath shook his head. "I'm heading that way to see if there are any jobs for me, sir."
The Captain looked pleased for some reason. "Good. I was hoping you will be able to do a little task for me. Can you deliver me a message?"
Uravath looked at him quizzically before he nodded his understanding. The captain brought out an enclosed envelope and passed it to him. Uravath took it cautiously, the feeling of paper so rare after the recent years. It must have been an important message to waste paper for and Uravath felt dread as he wondered to whom he had to deliver.
"I would like you to make sure this makes the hand of Ranrihi Fehimala, and his hands only. Do you understand?" The Captain looked at him seriously. Uravath nodded, feeling an intense dread when he recognised the name of the king's distant cousin. "If the wrong people know of the message, the consequences would not be well." The Captain added under his breath, almost to himself. "For any of us."
Uravath hid the envelope under his shirt and tucked it in. He nodded his head before making his way to the quarters of the nobility, where he rarely had occasion to go before.
There was something he knew about the noble man. He was a distant cousin of the king, a reserved man with a reputation for honesty and fair dealing, and a fierce loyalty to the king. He was extremely powerful, politically speaking, acting reagent to his orphaned nephew in the noble's council, in addition to his own seat in the same. He appeared to have little reputation in the political arena, however, gaining a reputation for supporting the king in all his policies in public, though it was known that he rendered any concerns to his cousin in private.
Given the time of the day, he would soon be leaving for the morning council, and Uravath that if he hurried he would be able to make it before he left. Uravath took a shortcut that allowed him to avoid notice and made his way to the house, a simple construction, strangely enough closer to his own quarters than most of the other noble houses.
He caught the nobleman just as he was leaving, struck by a troubling familiarity of his features. He dressed humbly, his build was slight for his people, but there was something like able in his seriousness. He noticed Uravath watching him, and gestured to him in greeting. Surprised, he gestured in return before making his way to him, sliding the envelope from under his shirt.
"Sir, a message from the captain." He passed the envelope, making sure no one else saw them.
The nobleman took it quickly, hiding it on his person. "Thank you, young man. Do you know which ship?"
"The new trader, 'Euteleois', sir." Uravath made a respectful gesture.
An unexpected smile came across his face and he handed Uravath a coin before muffling his head. Surprised at the familiar gesture, and the coin, he stood, looking at him with uncertainty. "You did good, Uravath. Your father would be proud."
"My father?" He asked reluctantly.
A noise from across the street drew their attention. "It was nice to meet you again, young man. It appears that I would have to go."
He courteously bid him farewell, leaving Uravath with more questions than not.
He made his way to the harbourside, nodding to Captain Alkaois to let him know that he had delivered the message before making his way to a new trader that was currently unloading its goods. After a sweaty morning of unloading, he was glad to join some of the young men and boys for a swim, tying off his clothes into a bundle and hiding it under the pier before jumping right in. He had made a decent amount of money that morning, and so he knew he would have some time to take for him to slip off to the scholar's house that day.
It was fun swimming and messing around in the water, and some of the people asked why he had not come by earlier that day and they told him of an incident that occurred on the docks where someone was found sneaking around one of the vessels. Like a spy they had said. Uravath dismissed it from his mind as he bid them farewell before making his way, only to receive an invitation for a squid hunting trip later that night.
He dried himself and made his way, dropping by Kashef's shop. The shop appeared to be desserted, so he turned to leave when he caught sight of Kashef coming his way.
He appeared troubled, and Uravath could not help but ask him if anything was wrong.
Kashef startled as he saw him, shaking his head as he gave him a troubled smile. "Just history repeating itself. Uravath, you should take care, of you and your mother. Remember, take care."
"Always." Uravath promised. He hesitated before handing over the coin he had earned. "Can you keep this with the rest, please?"
Kashef gave him a genuine smile. "Of course. You know you can put this in a bank."
Uravath have him a wry smile. "Being who I am? At my age? Its safer with you than with someone who will try to cheat me."
Kashef sighed as he put it away. "What are your plans for today?"
Uravath hesitated. "I think I will go to the Scholar House today."
Kashef frowned at his hesitation. "Are they treating you badly there?"
Uravath shook his head. "No, the teachers treat everyone the same. It's just... I tend to be grouped with the advanced subjects."