CHAPTER 1 ◇ Daifuku and sparklers

Place:
Tokyo Station, Shibuya
Tokyo railway line, slow train third compartment

Actors:
Suguru Geto (Jujuzist 3rd rank 1st year)
Satoru Gojo (Jujuzist 3rd rank 1st year)

Time:
24.October.20XX, noon

Suguru was standing on the underground platform of Shibuya. He was leaning against the tiled wall and his gaze kept wandering to the station clock. Twelve thirty-five. Satoru had said they were to meet here at twelve. The train they had originally wanted to take had long since left and there was still no sign of Gojo. Suguru sighed, stretched and decided to leave again. He had been waiting for more than half an hour now and had more than fulfilled his obligation. He knew better things to do with his free time than to wait down here for Satoru. Maybe he should go to a book café, borrow one of the old classics and drink a cup of tea. When was the last time he had actually done something like that? Neither Shoko nor Satoru were into that. Shoko wasted her rare free time either shopping or in the school's anatomy rooms. Both activities were at the bottom of his list of things he liked to do. The most he could do with Satoru was go to a manga café and read comics. True, he had nothing against mangas. It really was an underrated genre of literature. But it was still different to read a novel while drinking tea. Afterwards, he could return to the academy to go to the training hall for a bit. Today shouldn't be too busy, as most of the higher-ranking jujuzists were away on field missions. And so, with a bit of luck, he would have his peace. Exerting himself completely so that every muscle in his body could be felt and taking a hot shower afterwards gave him a feeling of liveliness. With one last glance at the clock, he abandoned his post and turned towards the escalators that would take him away from an idiotic plan and towards an afternoon of rest and relaxation.
"SUGURU!" a voice rang across the platform and the body of the person addressed froze into a pillar of salt. Out of the dream. "Bro! I guess we both miscalculated the time a bit, huh?", Satoru put his arm around his best friend, but the latter skillfully dripped it off again. "Speak for yourself. I was already there at twelve, waiting.". "Ah, here comes our train!" exclaimed Satoru delightedly, skilfully ignoring Goto's criticism. "I must say this is going like clockwork.". He pulled his friend into a nearly empty compartment. No wonder, since most people were also at work, university or school at this time of day. Besides, the train went to Tokyo's outskirts and they were not a popular destination. "So what now? What's your plan? I'm still in favour of telling Master Yaga about her.". "Nope. Where's the fun in that?". Suguru rolled his eyes. "Did you even let it be known that we were gone?". Satoru grinned. "Well, of course. I left a note on old Yaga's desk: 'Are girls pick up 🤙🏻'!". "I was afraid you'd say that." "Bro, if he reads that, he won't ask questions about where we've been. But...just in case, turn off your phone.". "So that's why I couldn't reach you..." grumbled Suguru, sliding deeper into his seat and pressing the off button on his phone. "But do you even realise the danger we are actually putting ourselves in? We have no idea who or what this girl even is.".
Satoru crossed his legs and smiled encouragingly at Suguru: "It's all easy, buddy. After all, we are the strongest and no one can hurt us.". He held out his fist to Geto and for the first time since they had set out, he too had to smile. "You're right.". He thrust his fist against Gojo's. They were the strongest. Together. And that would never change. They were silent for a while, looking at the city that passed them by outside the window. Houses and shopping streets gave way to factory sites. They both hung their thoughts. "And what if she runs away again as soon as she sees us?" asked Suguru suddenly into the monotonous rattle of the train. "Don't worry. I have a master plan, of course.". Satoru reached beside him and held up a small cardboard box that Suguru hadn't noticed before. Emblazoned on it was the logo of a well-known confectionery chain. "Tadaa!".

"Cake? Seriously?!". "Well, well my dear!", Satoru waved his index finger through the air, "Not just any plain cake! Daifuku! The whole world loves daifuku. Especially the ones with matcha batter and cream strawberry filling.". Suguru sighed, "Maybe that's true for most of the population. BUT you seem to have forgotten that it is not human. I have yet to come across a curse that would ingest food, let alone daifuku....And no I don't count eating humans as food.". Suguru added, because he suspected that Satoru wanted to address exactly this point. So he just stretched out his long legs, sighed and said: "Never mind. It'll be fine.".