Chapter 2 - Shabbat

(A/N: anything that's bold in parentheses is an A/N, aka, my thoughts)

It was Shabbat evening. You got up, groaning as you lazily dragged your hand over your face. You chuckled when your eyes wandered over to shirtless Matthew sleeping in his bed across the room. You shook your big, black German Shepard, Mateo, awake as he gave a soft growl.

You stood up and dragged your feet along the floor (Then I see you, you're walking 'cross the campus, cruel professor, studying romances)to your very limited clothes option. You grabbed your usual outfit and walked into the other room.

You came back, fully dressed, and grabbed your trusty black pocket knife. Matthew woke up while you were doing so. "Hey Matthew, shouldn't you be at work?" you asked, concerned. "What time is it?" "Four," you replied. "No," he groaned lazily, "not for another hour." "Oh, well, I gotta go now..." your voice trailed off. "Where you going?" he asked politely. "I'm going to Shabbat dinner with Thaddeus," you told him. He shrugged and let you leave.

With that, you and Mateo went outside, leaving Matthew alone.

Matthew got out of bed and sluggishly walked to the kitchen. He found a brown, wooden bowl of baby carrots, kale, sliced cucumbers, grape tomatoes, and small pieces of broccoli. Another identical bowl sat beside it containing a slice of papaya, sliced bananas, diced mango, grapes, and watermelon cubes. A small note sat beside it containing the words

"    See you tomorrow,

I made you food.

:]     "

His first smile this morning appeared on his lips as he sat down in the rickety chair and politely gobbled up his breakfast.

Meanwhile, once you shut the door on Matthew, you walked down to Simon's house. You knocked loudly at the wooden door. Simon always loved to sleep after going fishing. "I'm coming, I'm coming!" you heard Simon's tired voice call. He looked ready to fight by the time he opened the door. "Easy, Simon, I'm not a Roman," you chuckled, playfully. "Hey, Y/N," he greeted with a moody groan, hanging his head low, "You woke me up." "You wouldn't be so tired if you weren't up so late drinking," you replied, raising one eyebrow, "Yes?" "Caught me red-handed," he smirked, putting his hands up in surrender, "How'd you do it?" "My nose, Simon," You scrunched your nose, "I can smell that beer anywhere." "What brings you here?" he chuckled. "I just came to say Hi before I go to Shabbat dinner." "Where you going for Shabbat?" he asked, curiosity filling his voice. "I'm going with Thaddeus." "Well, see you later," you smiled, waving at him and walking off.

You met with Thaddeus and James. "You ready?" you asked with an excited but nervous face. "Not really," Thaddeus sighed sarcastically, "Let's go." You let out a hearty laugh as you three started walking. The streets were filled with chatter on the way there.

You arrived at a small house. James knocked on the door. A somewhat tall lady in a pinkish-red dress and a white head covering. "Hi," you greeted after a moment of silence, "pardon my friends here." You elbowed Thaddeus's arm as he let out a small, quiet 'ouch' and rubbed his arm. "Are you Mary?" Thaddeus asked. "Yes, I am," she smiled, "Do I know you?" "Sorry, Im James, this is Thaddeus"- he pointed to Thaddeus -"And that's Y/N."- he pointed to you, "We were told this would be a good place to come but we could leave if you like." You all looked at Mary. "No, no," she smiled, "please come in, you are most welcome here." You all walked in. "Can we help?" you asked politely. "No, no," she stopped with a chuckle, "Well, yes, I do not know what I am doing, I've never done this before." "I see food, that's a victory," Thaddeus smiled at her. "If you see me doing something wrong- you tell me," she laughed. "Oh, nonsense, it's already great," James grinned. You three sat down as Mary walked away. 

There was a table talk before there was a knock at the door. "You're popular, Mary," Barnaby smiled. She giggled and walked to the door. She opened the door. You heard a familiar voice say 'Hello Mary.' After some murmuring, You whipped your head around to face your Rabbi. "Hello, Y/N," he smiled.

(Just so u guys know, the seating arrangements are something like this:

The rectangle is supposed to be the table)

"Rabbi," you, James, and Thaddeus said in unison. "You already know these men?" Mary asked Jesus. "And woman, they are students of mine," he smiled at her, "I trust they have been polite?" "Of course," Mary replied. Jesus sat down next to you.

Mary stood by her chair, "Um, friends, this is the man I told you about, who, um... who helped me."  "Oh, yes, Mary told us so much about you." Shula smiled in his direction. "Oh, I hope not too much." he chuckled. "I'm Barnaby, this is Shula," Barnaby said, pointing to himself, then to Shula. "She is blind." "Ah." Jesus awed. "I'm so sorry, I don't actually know your name," Mary said from across the table. "I'm Jesus, of Nazareth." He introduced. "Well, apparently something
good can come from Nazareth." Barnaby laughed. You let out a stifled chuckle as the rest of the table was silent.

"Mary, I'm honored to be here. Why don't you begin?" Jesus insisted. "Oh, no, I couldn't, now
that You're here, You must." she persisted. "Thank you, but this is your home, and I would love for you to do it." he urged. "Okay." she nodded.

"Now the heavens were completed, and all their hosts and God completed on the seventh day His work that He did. And God abstained on the seventh day from all the work He did. And God blessed the seventh day, and He hallowed it, for thereon, He abstained from all the work that God created to do. Blessed are you, Lord our God, Ruler of the universe, who creates the fruit of the vine. You have lovingly and willingly given us your Shabbat as an inheritance in memory of creation. Because this is the first day of our holy assemblies in memory of the Exodus from Egypt. Blessed are you, Lord our God, King of the universe, who brings forth the bread from the earth.

Amen."

"Amen," you all repeated.

(End of Chapter)

(:]) (that's supposed to be a ":]" in parentheses)