9. Unexpected

Travis Swanson-

I sat there, occasionally shutting my eyes but she didn't want me to go.

I felt needed and it made something in me happy.

I watched her struggled to breathe through her nose and I felt bad. But she still looked pretty when she was sick.

Her brown hair was stuffed in a sloppy bun, the covers completely wrapped around her in what looked to be the most comfortable way.

Sometimes she'd startle herself awake, but never actually waking up.

"Travis." She whispered.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"You tired?" She mumbled, sounding barely awake.

"I'm okay." I told her.

She hummed, her eyes still shut.

She moved a bit, sticking her hand out of the covers.

She moved it in a funny looking way until she felt my knee and opened her hand.

"What?" I asked.

"Hold." She barely muttered, her eyes still shut and I smiled, holding her hand softly.

She didn't speak after that, her grip not even there but it was there enough to ensure her hand didn't fall.

-

"Travis?"

I groaned.

"Hey. Wake up." She shook me and I winced in pain as my neck was hurt from sleeping on the chair.

"What? Are you alright?" I rubbed the back of my neck, massaging the tightness.

"I'm fine but you don't look fine." She mumbled, her hair in a mess, her nose and cheeks slightly red.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I can make a bed for you on the floor or something. Granted it's already 6 am." She mumbled.

"It's alright. I'm fine." I shook my head.

"I feel bad." She frowned.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because we don't really know each other and your neck and lack of sleep-"

"Shhh." I whispered.

"It's fine, my neck will be fine, a nap will fix my sleep. What do you want for breakfast?" I stood, grabbing my keys.

"Don't, you've done enough-"

"Just... just let someone help you Hailey." I interrupted her, slightly frustrated and impatient.

"Let someone care about your health and care for you. It's not costing me anything to help you, and it'll cost me an opportunity that I should've taken to not help you. So what would you like for breakfast?" I asked and she just blinked.

"Uh I'll take whatever sounds good to you." She mumbled quietly, giving me a soft smile.

"I'll call you then." I nodded as I left.

Her brother called me right as I got into the car.

"Hey, how's Hailey doing?" He asked.

"Stubborn for help, but she's eating and I'm about to get us breakfast." I didn't know what to get.

"A little thing about her, she loves toasted bagels with extra cream cheese." He told me.

"Your a lifesaver." I laughed.

"Poor girl never lets anyone do anything for her." He sighed.

"She's very kind." I replied.

"You like her?" He asked.

"What? Uhm-"

"Before you get all defensive, I'm not saying you're completely in love with her, I'm just saying, as an observer, that you care about her and you're generally interested in her. Am I wrong?" He asked and I rubbed my chin, feeling my scruff growing back as my face heated.

"She's a very interesting girl." I croaked, my throat dry.

"So closed off." He sighed.

"I don't know." I shrugged.

"Look, I'm not here to be the overbearing brother. That's not my job nor my role in her life. She is the most important person in my life and I care for her, I want what's best for her, always." He sighed and I parked, anticipating his next words.

"But she's a smart girl, a girl with impossibly high standards due to fictional men and she drowns in her own self respect, so if anything were to occur, and she felt as interested, and she chose to do anything with you that is slightly more than friendly, consider that. That's all I'm saying. That and I'm not blind you stare at her man." He laughed.

"Stop." I laughed, embarrassed.

"She's easy on the eyes I get it, I look just like her." He teased.

"Cocky isn't an attractive attribute on a man. Scientifically." I joked.

"Yeah she'd definitely be into you." He chuckled.

"Thanks. I appreciate your pep talk." I nodded.

"But hey, I'm only gonna say this once, you break her heart, I'll try to beat you up even though I know you'll easily beat me first. But I'll try." He said, partially serious.

"I'm not a heartbreaker." I whispered.

"Good. Get her breakfast. Thank you for helping her out." He hung up.

That was not what I was expecting out of that call.