Chapter Eight

Richard and I met once last time before I left. Although calling it a meeting is a generous interpretation of the word. He was in Prince Hal's entourage, likely riding off for an adventure. The raucous group attracted the disapproving stares of older men and delighted attention of young ladies. They accompanied Princess Philippa who was saying farewell to her brother. The prince hugged his sister, whirling her around.

Resentment raged inside and I gritted my teeth. I hadn't even been allowed to see my brothers again. When I left, they might not even know. They might keep waiting for a visit that would never happen until the day they were taken to the castle that would serve as their prison.

I might never see them again.

The Lancaster siblings kept making a big fuss as if they were being separated by tragic circumstances rather than the prince returning to his responsibilities and the princess preparing for her upcoming marriage. Princess Philippa's companions all stayed close to her, wearing their best gowns for such a mundane occasion. I watched from the shadows, uninvited by the highborn girls. On such a cold day, I had no idea why they were so foolish to venture outside for the ridiculous hope the Prince of Wales would notice them.

I had no idea why I was foolish enough to hope Richard would notice me,

He mounted his horse, after playfully shoving some of his friends. His laughter rang out in the courtyard, an infectious joyous melody. More than anything I would miss that sound.

"You could say farewell to him," Catrin said, her cloak flapping in the wild winds.

I coughed. "Why would I do that?"

She clucked her tongue. "Because you want to do it. Why else come out when it's freezing and you're sniffling?"

"I am quite well. I only wanted to get one last glimpse of the Prince of Wales," I said, attempting to fight off a sneeze.

Catrin sighed when I sneezed two seconds later. "Oh yes, quite well. You should be inside with a hot posset. Although I can understand why you don't want to see him while you have a red nose and look so ghostly."

I scowled. "I don't look that bad and even if I did, I don't care what he thinks. The Yorks have caused my family nothing but misery."

She looked unimpressed as I raised my voice for the benefit of an indifferent groom who hurried past us. She gave me a little push. "Then you might as well wave to him."

Panic filled me, and I froze. "Let's just go back inside. We'll be leaving soon and I need to make sure we haven't forgotten anything."

"What's to forget?" Catrin mumbled, following as I hurried to the path leading inside. "Half of a candle?"

I ignored her very good point and didn't look back. I didn't know what I had expected. When I heard he was leaving, I had made my way there with no real plan. If we said goodbye in front of everyone, it would only attract dangerous gossip. I knew better. Richard's help was enough of a risk. It was better for both of us if he forgot me like everyone else.

The next day, I prepared to leave. Not one person offered a goodbye. Envy filled me when I watched other highborn ladies depart Windsor Castle with fanfare and large escorts. I knew it was lucky Richard sent one of his brother's men to escort me along with the money and horses I would need for the journey. But it frustrated me when Lady Constance rode away, wrapped in furs and laughing with friends as if on a summer jaunt.

I was happy to reunite with my sister, the last true family by my side. Only just eleven, she was far too young for our dangerous world. Loneliness and loss brought shadows to Eleanor's once bright eyes. She had stayed under the grudging hospitality of one of my mother's friends. The manor house was small and dreary, not a fitting place for a child who just lost her mother.