Chapter Five

After another lonely meal, ignored by former friends, it was time for me to see my brothers. Logic told me that my brothers would be held in fitting quarters, but my imagination tormented me. I couldn't free myself from visions of my little brothers locked away in a dungeon. A little relief rose when Prince Hal's friend, Sir John Oldcastle, brought me to a better area than where I was staying.

"Don't look so down, Lady Anne," Sir John said. "A smile will do your brothers a world of good."

I hated when I was told to smile, but I wasn't going to argue with one of Prince Hal's best friends.

"You're a good lass," he said. "You've had a hard time, but things should be set right. Things are already changing! Seeing your brothers is a reason to smile."

I still refused to smile, but I nodded. "I've prayed to every saint who might help."

His sunny smile dimmed a bit. "Our good prince is the reason and more reliable than any saints."

The last word was spoken with pointed distaste. His reaction was curious, but I didn't have time to puzzle it out. We had arrived. Sir John spoke with a guard outside the door, who gave me an unsettling look.

I half-expected we would be watched the entire time. Instead, I was escorted to their room and told to knock when I wished to leave. I hesitated before entering, still certain that there might be a new game that I wasn't expecting. A very tiny part of me wished Richard could accompany me, but that would have just announced to the world that Mortimers and Yorks were scheming together.

I tried to calm my pounding heart. Perhaps Prince Hal did just want me to remind my brothers of their loyalties. It might be the first step to obtaining their freedom. If they were set at liberty, my sister and I might find ourselves in better circumstances as the sisters of the Earl of March. Edmund was still a minor, but it would be easier to work out an arrangement if he wasn't a prisoner.

I just needed to play this game.

"Anne!"

As soon as I stepped inside, my twelve-year-old brother Roger ran over and almost knocked me down as he attempted to hug me. The door shut behind us and he latched on with a fierce grip.

"God keep you, little brother." I squeezed him back, almost in disbelief that I was able to be in the same room with him again. "How have you been?"

He pulled away, his blue eyes watering. "It's been awful, Anne. The king's men won't ever let us leave this room, and I haven't been able to go riding in months. A priest... told us what happened to Mama and we couldn't even come to you. I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault," I said.

I took a look around the chamber. It was well-appointed with a grand bed, fine oak furniture, an impressive collection of books, and martial tapestries. A good room for young men, if they had the freedom to leave. But it was too warm and musty. Candles and oil lamps brightening the shadowy room as daylight bled from the window. A brazier near the door kept the cold at bay, but overheated me the longer I stood next to it. I moved away, spotting marks on a once fine carpet, as if it had been paced over far too many times.

"I never thought they would let you visit."

I turned as Edmund approached. His deeper voice left me in a sea of unease. It had been over a year since I last saw him, and his changes startled me. Only fourteen and he was already almost as tall as me. He held himself with the pride of our royal ancestry, but caution now lurked in his blue eyes. The carefree companion of princes was gone and in his place was a young man I didn't know at all.

I bowed. "I'm sorry I could not visit sooner, my lord."

Edmund snorted. "Please use my name. It's too strange to hear my older sister being so formal."