Chapter 8

Thanks to @Dream_Purple for the amazing banner!

The trees are tightly knit, and I weave through them while reaching out and feeling the coarse bark underneath my palms. The moss is soft and damp yet leaves my hands dry when I pull them away and rub my fingers together. Rays of light cascade down through the trees creating intricate designs on the forest floor, and when I step onto the patterns, the light shines on my feet. During it all, the dense scent of rainfall tickles my nose.

Two guards follow behind me, and I continuously glance behind to check if they are still there. The two wait obediently outside while I climb the steps and knock on my grandmother's door. She answers in a matter of seconds, and I hurry inside. "You're okay, has anything happened? Have you seen anyone in the forest or—"

"Evangeline, what are you talking about," she quiets me down. "Why are you asking me if something has happened?"

"Sebastian, his brother was attacked the last time I was here. People asked him about me—strangers," I explain. "I was worried that they hurt you too, but Sebastian said he sent guards out to check on you after they found Henry. The guards said you were alright."

"Yes, they knocked on the door, dear, said it was only a check-up."

I grab her hand and squeeze it as if I need to make sure she is completely focused on me. "Grandma, you have to tell me. These strangers that were looking for me—what if they are connected to why I'm out here in the first place. I need to know the truth, all of it."

"Alright, alright. Sit down. It is a long story," she says and takes a breath before beginning. "When I was a young girl, a bit older than you are now, darling, I was infatuated with the Alpha of the old pack. He had lost his mate—he is the father of the current one, I think—anyways, I did not care that we were not mates, I thought I truly loved him, so I decided that I would tell him the truth about myself. Once I told him about the moon goddess he believed me, but his perception changed. He thought I was a witch or evil and whatnot, and he was convinced that I would take his pack away from him. So, as paranoid as he was, he came after me one night, committed to killing me."

"That's terrible," I mumble.

"Yes, it was. He had a silver knife, and he barged into my house. Oh, I was so frightened, dear, I ran for my life and into the woods. The Alpha chased me until he caught up and pushed me against a tree. He held the knife to my neck, calling me demon, but I managed to slip out and shove him to the ground. The knife, it had fallen, so I grabbed it and held it to him. Oh, he came at me, tackling me to the ground and when we landed the knife pierced his chest. I screamed and panicked. I heard people coming so I ran back home. It was the most scared I had ever been, dear."

"Did they find out that you were there?" I ask, on the edge of my seat, realizing how vivid and dramatic her story is.

"It is more complicated than that, I'm afraid. After the Alpha had died, and the news spread around the pack, I found my mate. He was moonstruck over me, so I told him what I had done, what had happened, and he didn't leave. Somehow the Alpha's son, who had to take over, was convinced that I had done it. By then I had your mother, and she was about your age. I thought all that happened was behind me, but his son came out of nowhere with the accusations. The son knew what I was, and he followed in his father's footsteps. Your mother was old enough to take care of herself, and she was upset by my gift, never believing that I was telling the truth—"

"So my mother didn't believe you while the Alpha did, and thought you were evil, like his father?"

"Yes," she confirms. "So, when I told your mother that I had to leave she thought it was for the best."