61.

Paul, Gilly, and I must've played baseball for an hour and a half before daddy called us in for dinner. Rob, ignoring daddy's glare and mumbling, talked about my driving and how good I've gotten. He didn't mention my time on the highway and I've never been so grateful. Charlie saw how miserable daddy was and took advantage by bringing up the sleepover.

"First time away from home, huh?" He asks me.

"Shut up," daddy growls, then there is a bang sound from under the table, and Charlie winces.

"Daddy," I plead. Why is he so upset? Yes, it's my first sleepover-Gilly gives me shit about all the time because I'm seventeen but I never found a good enough reason to leave home-but it's no reason to be acting so defensive.

"Yeah, okay," he mumbles.

For the rest of dinner, daddy didn't talk much, he mumbled a yeah or no here and there but that was orrery much it. I felt bad. I kept quiet myself. Every now and then I would glance over and smile at daddy and with each passing grin daddy's became more hopeful.

After dinner I said goodnight-I hate byes-to my uncles and Paul, then daddy drove us to Twyla's.

Daddy stops in front of Twyla's house then glances back at Gilly and me. "Alright, you girls have fun. Call me if anything."

"Will do." I lean forward and peck his cheek.

"I love you, girls!" Daddy says as Gilly and I climb out of the car.

"I love you too!" I call back.

"Love ya, Will!" Gilly says.

William

"I fucking dare you," I threaten Charlie as I walk up the path to my house. Of ducking course, Charlie and Rob were waiting outside for me. I'm having mixed feelings about my daughter spending a night at some stranger's house and I stop at Charlie and Rob's jokes. I know I've grown not just as a man but as a person and as a father, but I will break them. "Tommy picked up Paul?" Tommy's Paul's babysitter.

Charlie nods, the humor vanishing from his face. He may have recently adopted Paul but he has always been his father. That's three years, yet he still jokes about Agnes and me.

"I'm pouring shots!" I push past them and step through the front door.

********

I didn't drink much since I didn't feel comfortable considering I haven't had alcohol in years-the strong shit at least. Rob had to take my phone to stop me from checking on Agnes. "She's living her life," he said, and I nearly kick his ribs in. But I somehow managed to listen and didn't complain. It had been a while since the guys just hung out so we had a lot to talk about. Which is weird since we work together too.

When ten o'clock suddenly came around, we called it a night. Charlie and Rob helped clean up then left.

I showered, brushed my teeth, feed Caesar...

The moment I settle into bed, my phone rings.

I grab my phone and see it's Agnes calling. I pick up instantly.

"Daddy?" There's an edge to Agnes' voice.

"Baby girl, what's wrong?" A part of me wishes she's calling because she misses home, but my fatherly instincts tell me otherwise.

"Daddy..." she breathes then what's next pours out of her mouth like a waterfall. "I'm sorry, daddy, I'm so sorry but I got high and now I feel heavy like a thousand pounds heavier! And my arms are weird-they look physically weird, daddy. And-and-and-and I'm really paranoid. Can you please, please, please, please pick me up?"

Again...fixed feelings. I want to laugh, but she's high right now. She's high right now...

"I'm on my way, okay? Just breathe." I jump out of bed and rush out of my room. "Agnes, breathe."

"I'm trying to but then I forget."

"Oh...kay...?" What the hell did she smoke? "Agnes, where's Gilly?"

"Um-dunno...inside? She's inside. I think she's sleeping."

"Go check."

"Okay." I hear her sit up, mumble something, then sit back down.

"Agnes, up," I say firmly.

"I forgot," she says with sass. I hear her move around, a few voices-it's a relief to know one of the voices belong to Chandler Bing-and then a door slowly opening. "Gilly?!" She yells in a whisper. By now, I'm in my car, speeding. "She's not answering. She's asleep."

"Wake her. I'm taking her home too." If Agnes is high then surely enough Gilly is too. And I'm not leaving her.

"Wait, no, daddy," Agnes whines, and I can picture her clear as day pouting hard. "She can't go home, not high. Her mother would never let her out again." I sigh. That doesn't sound so bad right now.

"Do you have Twyla's number? You can't leave without noticing her first."

"She's, um, she's," Agnes says shyly.

"She's what, Agnes?"

"She's not here."

"What do you mean she's not there?!" I snap. "I talked to her about the sleepover a few days ago!"

"We told Twyla's mother that the sleepover was tomorrow night because we knew she wasn't going to be home tonight..."

I grip the streaking wheel so hard my knuckles turn pure white. "And what about tomorrow night?"

Agnes hesitates. "Twyla is supposed to tell her that we all canceled."

"You guys really thought this through, huh?" I'm so fucking pissed, I have to pull over and collect myself.

I'm not sure how much time passes but it was all spent in eerie, frightening silence. Eerie for Agnes being too quiet considering how high she is. And frightening...well it's more for Agnes. I'm sure my silence is terrifying her. It should be. I. Am. Outrage. My daughter's been lying to me left and right and to make matters worse, she's been doing it with no issue. I'm truly losing my baby girl.

"Daddy?" Agnes' voice is small and so young.

"Yeah." My voice comes out strained and dry so I clear my throat. "I'm on my way."