i.

Bonnie Bennett smiled sadly to herself, smelling the bouquet of roses in her hand.

Before Enzo had died he would give her weekly roses...and now that he was gone, as a way to remember him, Bonnie would buy herself a bouquet every week.

The Bennett witch faltered as a knock resounded on her door. Brows furrowed, she moved forward and pulled open the door.

"Damon?" She cocked her head to the side.

"Bonnie," He trembled, raising his head, tears in his eyes, "I don't want to do this," He cried.

"Do...what?"

"Bonnie, I'm so sorry," he sobbed.

Veins protruded from his eyes...and he surged forward, fangs tearing into her neck...ripping out her carotid artery.

Bonnie gasped and gargled and choked as she tried to cast a spell but her mind was too frantic...too shocked and scared.

The bouquet of roses fell to the floor, the bloody petals landing in a pool of Bonnie's blood.

Damon cried...as he killed his best friend.

Why? Bonnie thought desperately as she barely clung to life, legs giving out, falling into Damon's arms as he fervently and messily drank from her. Why?

Elena.

Her mind supplied her with the answer and as she lay dying in her friends arms...a memory came to her.

"Why do you think people are always so willing to love and sacrifice everything for the doppelgängers?" Caroline had once asked the witch.

"Hmm?"

"I mean, no offense to Elena or anything, but they're not that pretty," Caroline's brows had furrowed, "I mean, Silas chose Amara over Qetsiyah and I just don't understand it...unless something drew him to Amara, unless some external force willed him to love her."

"So," Bonnie had drawled, "Your theory is that Amara cast some spell on herself that compelled Silas to pick her and that spell later was applied to the other doppelgängers, compelling those around them to love them and fight and sacrifice for them?"

"Yeah!"

"Uh-huh," Bonnie had scoffed, "Sure."

Bonnie gurgled, blood pooling past her lips, rolling down her chin...as she died.

Bonnie Bennett died...at the hands of her best friend...for Elena Gilbert.

Bonnie Bennett was alone...and in pain...she was dead.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

...Until she wasn't.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

And as Bonnie Bennett came back to life...the world died.