CHAPTER 4

CHAPTER 4

At Dave's Famous Diner, breakfast is served all hours. But this evening is a special event for the members of an investment group that wants to challenge Delphi Corp. With a menu catering to people of all kinds of tastes, the thrill of a full house excites discussions when the waiter returns with a full menu. The interior of the diner contrasts with the brick-and-mortar exterior. An old-school ambiance that welcomes patrons where linen cloth highlights the Victorian décor. The waiter arrives at the long table to take orders and immediately catches the interest of Joe Hansen, a multifaceted entrepreneur in the business of making dreams come true—like everyone, these days, he hopes to strike it rich in the computer segment.

Hansen asks, "How's that working out for you?" Referencing his wrist underlay.

The young waiter finishes placing the plates he's able to accommodate before crossing an arm across Hansen's view of sight. The provincial Hansen looks intently at the foray of blinking lights under the skin of the waiter's wrist. The new wrist underlay has fresh markings of surgery, tender skin surrounds the apparatus beneath. In a hurry, the waiter pulls his attention back toward the table before pacing toward the kitchen again.

"Excuse me, sir?" the waiter responds.

"Your wrist, there." Hansen directs a head nod toward the waiter's right wrist.

The waiter looks down. "Oh yes. It's great, I love it." He puts two hands up to excuse himself. A few minutes later, he returns with the rest of their food.

Results from early assessment show that Delphi Corp. continues to retain a place atop the tech market, but all that looks set to change as the effects of CCS malfunctions are leaving only susceptible farms and conversations behind closed doors about switching their providers. The public view is admittedly skewed by the media and press. Hansen, unlike many, has no problem with Bartram as a businessperson. What he does have a problem with is his unsavory business practice, like ignoring public sentiments. The CCS navigation in his car has been replaced to avoid a functional breakdown. He doesn't want to become another victim of some unseen error. What he and his group don't know, is that something they can't avoid is percolating in the back kitchen.

In the kitchen, the same waiter tries to hurry an executive chef, but rushing isn't going to make the food any better. "Hey, we're backlogged out here!" the waiter calls.

Receiving no response, he takes determined steps through a wooden door. The chef stands with an eye toward the floor. His latest concoction appears to have exploded all over his garment. The mix of prominent colors shows the concoction of vegetables that were going to be served with thinly sliced meats. Something else worries the Chef as he places his hands to his waist covered in slime.

"Is everything all right back here? What in the world?" the waiter points to the floor.

"This shipment is bad, it's all bad," the chef informs him.

Moving away from his straightened posture, the chef bends at slender hips toward the floor. He cautiously grabs a loose leaf of smoky lettuce. Bringing the bunch of green to his face, he and the waiter look on with suspicion. After letting a handful into the pan for a slow simmer, a few pangs of heat continue to explode their way to the ceiling. He stops so as not to let off the smoke detectors.

"That's what all the commotion is about back here, lettuce?"

The waiter tries to calm himself since he's not the supervisor barges, who in after him to try and restore order.

"Get back to work, Aubrey!" he yells to the waiter's back. "What in the hell is all this mess?" The supervisor directs his attention toward the lead Chef who, unlike the others, is focused on cleaning up the spilled mess.